Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What're you reading these days?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

zigi

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 9:49 pm
The armour of light, ken follett

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:19 pm
Jewish : Buena Sarfatty's Ode to Salonika. Autobiography from Sephardic partisan

Non Jewish : The soul enchanted extremely high lit

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:32 pm
Now reading To This Very Day by Rav Amnon Bazak, which discusses and addresses some of the questions raised by the academic world about Tanach.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:21 am
Also, just got Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.

It's supposedly a reboot of Charles Dickens's David Copperfield, except in the modern day US with an opioid-addicted protagonist. I haven't read David Copperfield so I'm not sure I will fully appreciate it, but I had to get something quickly and my options were limited.

small bean

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:22 am
I just read whisper duologybby lynette noni and loved it.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Also, just got Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.

It's supposedly a reboot of Charles Dickens's David Copperfield, except in the modern day US with an opioid-addicted protagonist. I haven't read David Copperfield so I'm not sure I will fully appreciate it, but I had to get something quickly and my options were limited.

I liked demon copperhead! Didn’t either read copperfield except for a small excerpt we read in high school literature class. Demon copperhead stands on its own, you don’t have to have read copperfield to enjoy it.

I just took Bad Therapy by Abigail Shrier out at the library. Excited to read it. She went on many podcasts that I listened to to promote the book and I found her thoughts on how therapy is overused and can be very harmful, especially to children, to be really compelling.

I’m in middle of Day by Michael Cunningham. Elin hilderbrand recommended the book on her Instagram stories. It’s weird but I’m liking the style of writing.

Also took out The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon. I listen to a book club podcast called The Readheads Book Club and they read the book. I like reading books that I can then listen to a podcast discussion of.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:56 am
amother Maroon wrote:
I liked demon copperhead! Didn’t either read copperfield except for a small excerpt we read in high school literature class. Demon copperhead stands on its own, you don’t have to have read copperfield to enjoy it.

Oh good. I am looking forward to reading it, it looks compelling. I'll just be missing the references and allusions. Maybe I'll read David Copperfield after. And listen to a podcast about Copperhead Smile

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:05 pm
Lovable wrote:
I just started The new book from Riva Pomerantz (fave author !!) 6 Degrees
Loving it so far!

Is 6 Degrees a new book? I've had it in my closet for years!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:06 pm
Finished Demon Copperhead. Enjoyed it, but it's not a book I would probably reread.

Also finished Not In Heaven by Rabbi Eliezer Berkovits.

Now going back to reading To This Very Day. And also started the novel, The Netanyahus, by Joshua Cohen.

Goldengoose

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:02 am
The Women by Kristin Hannah

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:09 am
Goldengoose wrote:
The Women by Kristin Hannah

Any good? I saw a bunch of books by her on the shelf at the store when I was browsing last week, but I wound up buying something else.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:10 am
a2z wrote:
My avner gold series came yesterday and I'm holding by the 3rd book, The Year of the Sword.
Very much recommend this series for history fans.

I read the series to ds once he was old enough to understand it but still young enough to enjoy being read to.

Goldengoose

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Any good? I saw a bunch of books by her on the shelf at the store when I was browsing last week, but I wound up buying something else.

I liked her other books more, I'm her biggest fan!! any book of hers is worth your time.
it's a good book but her others were better.

Comptroller

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:13 am
Kapka Kassabova: Borders - a journey to the edge of Europe

A bulgarian-scottish writer explores the borderlands between Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey, their present and their history. Very interesting.

sequoia

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:18 am
A House with Seven Windows: Short Stories by Kadya Molodowsky

Very lovely. The story “Hinde the gardener” made me cry.

zigi

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:45 am
I went to the prequel the evening and morning by ken follett, reread the pillars of the earth now I am in to world without end.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:59 am
I’m in middle of Nightbitch and liking it!

amother
Jean

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 1:06 am
Just started The Ultimate Evil. Total wackadoodle but still can't put it down.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 10:23 am
Goldengoose wrote:
I liked her other books more, I'm her biggest fan!! any book of hers is worth your time.
it's a good book but her others were better.

Agree. She's one of my favorite authors, but this one was disappointing.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room