Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
First Pesach Takeaway, Sell Soul for Program
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:56 am
Are you really saving money going away? I know you said food was cheaper and you could eat simply, but you still need to eat! Once you've factored in the cost of the rental, you could probably stay home and pay a bit more for food and maybe some cleaning help or catering to make it easier for you.

Staying home means you can take the cleaning more slowly in a kitchen you ate familiar with. Over time you develop a routine, and it becomes much easier.

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just us. BH we have a good connection but on Shabbos and Yuntiv it feels lonely.

Do you have family and friends where you live? Are you near chabad or other frum Jews now that you went away?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:22 pm
tichellady wrote:
I’m confused. Do you not cook? It’s a lot of work to shop and do all the cooking in a kitchen that is not your regular kitchen where everything needs to be new

She was talking about the kashering not the cooking. I don’t find Pesach cooking to be that much harder than any other YT.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:45 pm
Girl, unless you made Pesach as a single, it's your first time making Pesach. You're just figuring things out. Why wouldn't you expect things to get easier with practice? Everything else does. Not saying you shouldn't go away if you can afford to, just saying you shouldn't make major decisions based on a one-time experience. The first time in your life you tried walking you also weren't so successful.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:50 pm
giftedmom wrote:
It’s really not that big a deal. I did it for the first time during Covid with 3 kids underfoot and have been doing it since. You literally just pour some hot water on everything and then cover with dekal or vynil or whatever and put in a plastic sink. How on earth is that harder than working all year. I find programs more stressful than that.

Really? Don't you need to clean and kasher the stove as well? And clean the refrigerator? Which may be harder depending...

Also I don't pour hot water over anything (unless kashering the sink) so I don't know what you mean...

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:54 pm
Honestly, I would find cleaning a kitchen that's not mine and a refrigerator and a stove that's not mine a lot harder than doing my own.

At this point I've been making Pesach for a number of years and don't find it crazy hard. I find if you have cleaning help than for sure it's easier. Maybe it's worth it to stay home and hire a cleaning lady for a day to help with the kitchen. I had my cleaning lady come for one extra day and she did my entire kitchen. I even gave her the stuff to line the refrigerator and the cabinet. My husband kashered when he came home and I covered.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:03 pm
I would sell my soul to go away and I’m married 30 years!! My husband is not well my kids aren’t so helpful. Before they were married and they were around it was much easier. I found this year to be extremely hard, physically and mentally. Next year I’m looking for a company to do the whole kitchen cleaning turning over. Even with help this year I found it very hard

giftedmom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:38 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Really? Don't you need to clean and kasher the stove as well? And clean the refrigerator? Which may be harder depending...

Also I don't pour hot water over anything (unless kashering the sink) so I don't know what you mean...

Yeah. Still not that but a deal. Certainly not harder than working all year. I pour hot water over everything with a kashering stone.

Realstuff

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:34 pm
Getting a cleaning lady once or twice to just help with the kitchen would save you thousands…also it does get much better! Dw my first Pesach married was the height of COVID and I remember being so overwhelmed I get it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:48 pm
Pesach is an absolutely amazing yom tov that no matter what decisions you are faced with there is always trade offs financially, socially & work. Easy is never in the description. So you'll figure out how you enjoy it best with a little trial-and-error. But cut yourself some slack for its the first time and you get better at things with experience.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics