Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Chuck eye roast

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:48 pm
I got a chuck eye roast, 3+ pounds, as part of a yom tov meat package. Never had one before, what do I do with it?

Will it shred if I put it in the crockpot? I don't like tough meat and a quick look online seems to indicate it will be tough.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:50 pm
Not tough at all! I really like this cut. My favorite way to prepare it:
1 onion, diced
1 pk onion soup mix
½ c. water
½ c. ketchup
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 can cranberry sauce (whole berry)
pour mixture over meat, cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour for each pound of meat

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:56 pm
Delicious for pulled beef

Season with salt and pepper
Pour a jar of bbq sauce- I like bone suckin sweet southern
Cover tightly
Bake on 250 for 8-10 hrs
Pull apart in the juices

Use on pizza, tacos, ontop of mashed potatoes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:59 pm
Any recipes without tomato products? And what is a package of onion soup mix in spoons?

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 12:03 am
The acid in tomatoes is a great tenderizer
I usually just use a heaping Tablespoonful of soup mix

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 8:27 am
This roast is great when prepared low and slow. Then cool over night, remove the netting, and slice. To serve: heat it up gently in its gravy. It should be moist and super soft.
Any sauce or seasoning will work. You can play around with it.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 8:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Any recipes without tomato products? And what is a package of onion soup mix in spoons?

4 tbsp

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 8:29 am
naomi2 wrote:
This roast is great when prepared low and slow. Then cool over night, remove the netting, and slice. To serve: heat it up gently in its gravy. It should be moist and super soft.
Any sauce or seasoning will work. You can play around with it.

Can you give any specific sauce suggestions? I have a tomato sensitivity.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 8:49 am
amother OP wrote:

You can use balsamic vinegar as a tenderizer.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:46 am
amother OP wrote:

You can use a cup of red wine instead.
Make a spice rub of a lot of spices, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, a tablespoon onion soup mix and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub into roast and refrigerate a few hours. Slice a few onions to cover bottom of the pan, put roast on top and pour wine into the pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 325 for an hour. Turn it over, spoon sauce and onions on top and bake at 300 for another hour and a half or two hours depending on size of the roast. Cool roast in fridge with sauce in a separate container. Slice the roast when it’s completely cold. Skim most of the fat off the sauce. Pour sauce over roast. Add more wine or chicken soup if you want. This freezes well.
The roast will come out better if you use a heavy metal or cast iron pan. I’ve done it in a foil pan and it’s fine but if you have a roasting pan you’ll see the difference.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:49 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Make a spice rub of a lot of spices, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, a tablespoon onion soup mix and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub into roast and refrigerate a few hours. Slice a few onions to cover bottom of the pan, put roast on top and pour wine into the pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 325 for an hour. Turn it over, spoon sauce and onions on top and bake at 300 for another hour and a half or two hours depending on size of the roast. Cool roast in fridge with sauce in a separate container. Slice the roast when it’s completely cold. Skim most of the fat off the sauce. Pour sauce over roast. Add more wine or chicken soup if you want. This freezes well.
The roast will come out better if you use a heavy metal or cast iron pan. I’ve done it in a foil pan and it’s fine but if you have a roasting pan you’ll see the difference.

Amazing, thank you!

devorah1231

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:

Thanks for the recipe! It was really good!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:48 am
Ladies, bringing up this thread... Reading elsewhere low and slow....or an hour per pound... So if I have a three lb roast, is it 3 hrs @ 350, or rather longer? And at what temp? Ty!!

devorah1231

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:19 am
I made my chuck eye last week. Started at 350 bec foil pan, would have done 325 in a roaster pan. Did 1 hour at that, lowered to 300, checked after 1.5 hours and it needed more time. I checked on it every 30 minutes and when it was ready it felt noticeably different. I don't remember if it took another 1 or 1.5 hours but anyway I don't how heavy it was because it didn't come with a weight printed on it. Sliced beautifully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics