Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I start doing sit up exercises with my baby?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 1:06 am
My baby is 6 weeks old. He has extremely good head control. Can I do that sit up exercise where you have the baby lying down and you gently pull them into a sitting position by their hands? Or is he too young for it?

Also, is that exercise done in reverse too? Sitting to lying?

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 1:09 am
I would let him alone. He will be sitting up just fine in good time. Don't rush any aspect of development. The machinery of these milestones are inside him, and will activate quite nicely in their proper time. And there are little individual variations of timing that should be let alone to happen naturally.

Some kids never crawl. They just get up and walk one day.

It will be fine.

Sebastian

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 1:12 am
just leave him on his tummy as much as possible. its very important at that age.

he doesnt need sit upa. he will sit fine. I think a 6 week old is too little for supported sit ups. wait for him to pull himself up.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 1:27 am
Just tummy time. Don’t push the sitting up.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 1:54 am
Thank you! I’ve seen people do this with their babies so I thought it might be something I should be doing

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 2:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I’ve seen people do this with their babies so I thought it might be something I should be doing

You want your baby to develop and strengthen his muscles. That happens when he’s on his tummy and he actively picks up his head, turns it side to side and eventually pushes up on his hands and all the other milestones. Forcing/training babies to sit early actually holds them back from moving on their own.

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 3:58 am
You can play with your baby however you guys enjoy playing -- as long as it's safe.

But for actually sitting -- look for that at 6 months, maybe. Now is tummy time, and talking with him, like everyone says

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 4:08 am
Not to be a Karen, just a psa, it can actually be very dangerous to pull up a baby by their arms. It puts all their body weight on their delicate little shoulder muscles.

imaima

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 5:37 am
Rappel wrote:
You can play with your baby however you guys enjoy playing -- as long as it's safe.

But for actually sitting -- look for that at 6 months, maybe. Now is tummy time, and talking with him, like everyone says

Noone encourages sitting anymore.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 6:21 am
I’ve literally never seen anyone do this

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 7:25 am
That’s not recommended at any age

lilytee

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 7:33 am
Check out the Brachiation for baby concept. It is very healthy what you want to do but you have to know how. Not just pull your baby’s arms.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 9:10 am
Tummy time is all they need. No baby needs exercise unless a doctor or therapist ordered it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 10:54 am
Medical professionals do that to check for head lag/neck control but it doesn't serve as an exercise.

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 11:02 am
imaima wrote:
Noone encourages sitting anymore.

But it's a natural game at a certain age. Many babies love pulling themselves up on your hands, and then laugh when they fall back. I play it with my baby (now almost toddler) on my lap

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 11:19 am
Rappel wrote:
But it's a natural game at a certain age. Many babies love pulling themselves up on your hands, and then laugh when they fall back. I play it with my baby (now almost toddler) on my lap

Pulling themselves up is different than you pulling them up by the arms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics