Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Matzo Muffins

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:20 pm
These are really like individual matzo kugels

Matzo Muffins

Excerpt From: Joan Nathan - King Solomon's Table

Chef Adam Sobel of RN74, a Michael Mina restaurant in San Francisco, remembers fondly these matzo “cupcakes” (I call them muffins) that his great-grandmother brought with her from Russia. “When my mother makes the matzo cupcakes,” Sobel told me, “they are awesome. Our family are dunkers, and they are great for soaking up the juices from the brisket.” Try them alone or with my take on Sobel’s brisket (this page).

Yield: 12 muffins

3 cups (396 grams) matzo farfel or 6 whole matzos, processed in a food processor
4 large eggs
¼ cup (55 grams) chicken fat or vegetable oil
2 large yellow onions, sliced (about 3 cups)
1 cup (235 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup diced fresh parsley
1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease 12 muffin tins.

2.Break up the pieces of the matzo farfel or the matzo in a bowl. Add warm water to cover and soak for 3 minutes. Then carefully squeeze out the excess water, passing the wet matzo through a fine-meshed sieve.

3.Wipe the bowl and whisk the eggs in it, then stir in the matzo.

4.In a large skillet set over medium heat, warm the chicken fat or vegetable oil and sauté the sliced onions until soft, tender, and beginning to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Then stir the onions, olive oil, and parsley into the matzo-egg mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then spoon into the muffin cups, dividing evenly.

5.Bake for about 25 minutes, rotating the pan every 8 minutes during baking. Remove when golden brown and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

5.Bake for about 25 minutes, rotating the pan every 8 minutes during baking. Remove when golden brown and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

6.The muffins can be frozen and reheated in a 350-degree oven before being served.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics