Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I really want to learn to eat healthy
Previous  1  2

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 11:58 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Brown rice isn't healthy at all. Contains more arsenic than white. Wild rice (not really rice) is very healthy.

Which wild rice do you use? And how do you cook/prepare it?

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 2:43 am

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:02 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a family history of heart disease and high BP, and high cholesterol. I am about 35/40 lbs overweight and I really want to change my eating. Can anyone help guide me to free resources? I can't just eat veggies and protein. I need some form of carbs. How do I know which types of carbs are better? How do I know how much to limit carbs per day?

*Stay away from bread, sugar, processed foods, and saturated fat.
* Do eat fruits, veggies, eggs, beans, fish, chicken, lean meats, some dairy, whole grains, healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, coconut oil, olive oil.

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:38 pm
Easiest advice I ever heard. "Eat food with just 1 ingredient". Smile

BrooklynBee

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:57 pm
This is a great podcast I just listened to that had an (emotionally) healthy outlook on healthy eating, a registered dietician spoke on the DMC podcast. https://open.spotify.com/episo.....64237
all these resources are great to start, but most insurances cover a nutritionist and that would probably be the best place to find out what would be good for YOUR body.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:00 pm
Thank you so much everyone! I have cut out all processed food and sugar other than fruit. I have limited carbs and am trying to focus on eating mostly fruits and veg and lean proteins with healthy fats.
It has been 5 days now and it is getting easier. I feel really dedicated to healthy eating right now and I hope it continues.

Eta I have also been trying to not eat after 7pm.

BrooklynBee

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:07 pm
Good for you!
Limiting just sounds scary to me, it's important to eat enough of each food group. Too much carbs is not good for us, but too little causes fatigue and brain fog. (not saying you're eating too little, but it's good to get clarity from professionals- NOT fad diets- how much is healthy for us)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:08 pm
BrooklynBee wrote:
Good for you!
Limiting just sounds scary to me, it's important to eat enough of each food group. Too much carbs is not good for us, but too little causes fatigue and brain fog. (not saying you're eating too little, but it's good to get clarity from professionals- NOT fad diets- how much is healthy for us)

I'm definitely eating enough. I'm limiting processed carbs I guess. Not carbs in general. Focusing on eating whole foods.

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 3:32 pm
Lean protein is not necessarily great. Full fat protein is better. It will fill you up. And lean usually means something was removed from it. And something else added so it tastes good.
Look up "the big fat surprise" on YouTube. You'll learn a lot about healthy fats.

S-HappyMama

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 3:57 pm
Kudos to you for being proactive about your health!
As you put it so well - eating healthy is the way to go. You deserve to take care of yourself! There are many suggestions written here, and I'm sure there are dozens more ideas to ponder and choose from. Personally, I consulted with a doctor who specializes in functional medicine, and it was super helpful for my individual dietary needs. For carbs (or any food), the closer to its natural form, the more the food nourishes your body rather than detracting from it. This is important for everyone, but even more so for the health challenges you mentioned. So for example, a sweet potato in its skin is going to be much more nourishing than sweet potato chips.
Equally important is figuring out how to MAINTAIN what works for you. In my experience, it's important to explore the reasons we crave certain foods or are stuck in a weight-loss-weight gain cycle.
Since you are looking for a free resource, you might try Overeaters Anonymous (OA), and find a group and a sponsor that are not “graysheet,” but rather one with a more open approach. When worked properly, OA provides group support as well as well as individual guidance.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 4:06 pm
The BEST podcast I've ever followed is called "Dishing up nutrition". They've been on air for 20 years and give the best nutrition advise, and also entertaining. I learned a LOT from them.

One great thing I learned is how to love food. Healthy good food.
- They stress PROTEIN a lot (100g per day)
- NO SUGAR
- 7-8 hours SLEEP
- Generous helpings of natural fat (olive oil, avocado oil, nuts, seeds)
- Full fat dairy products, as long as you are not lactose intolerant

These are all PROVEN to help people lose weight and stay healthy.

Growing

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Which wild rice do you use? And how do you cook/prepare it?

For anyone eating a varied diet the arsenic in brown rice shoudnt be a concern

daughterofgod

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:23 pm
Great replies
The very basics like everyone else said is eat foods with the least ingredients and closest to how hashem created it.

And cut out sugar. All forms of it.

If a person can only do one thing I would say cut out all forms of sugar and foods that tuen in instant sugar in the body (white carbs(

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:59 pm
I just wanted to update everyone! Bh I have really stuck to being health conscious since I posted this. I feel so good!! I am also down 20lbs so far!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:16 pm
Wow! You're amazing. Congratulations. How do you stick to it? What gives you the willpower when you're really Hungary or in the mood of noshing?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:17 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Wow! You're amazing. Congratulations. How do you stick to it? What gives you the willpower when you're really Hungary or in the mood of noshing?

I let myself nosh on better alternatives like make myself a big bowl of roasted veggies or fresh fruit instead. I have found that usually when I nosh its because I am just hungry.
I'm not always perfect, but for me it a mindset of this is a lifestyle change. So if I go to a simcha and want dessert thats ok. Ill still go back home and go back to eating healthy.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:17 pm
Amazing OP, Kol HaKavod!

forever21

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:22 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I keep seeing these videos on Youtube from a woman who lost 100 lbs. I am sure she is trying to sell something that I am not buying lol but two things that I liked that she said were

1) Drink 16 oz of water before you eat and 2) She shows a plate that is half veggies, quarter carbs and quarter protein. To me that's extremely reasonable and not depriving yourself.

Ilana muhlstein- shes frum MO. Tons of people follow her diet
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise