Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA pandas Benadryl

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:44 pm
Posting because more than once someone mentioned Benadryl in connection with Pandas. I asked my childs psychiatrist about this today because I have been giving it pretty often lately and he said that it can cause dementia if used long term and only take if the child is really really really not ok.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 12:26 am
Please clarify. Benedryl is supposed to help pandas or cause it?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:19 am
Benadryl is to lower the body's immune reaction to the strep. My DS could not tolerate the benadryl

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:46 am
Just saw on a veteran pandas moms blog that they skip the benadryl because it's an anti cholinergic and an inflamed brain needs choline. Which is very true. It's also the anti cholinergic properties that can be involved in memory loss because acetylcholine is the learning and memory neurotransmitter.

I'm that poster that's always recommending it. I still think it can be a helpful pandas tool. A) use it short term to stop a flare. B) there are other anti histamines that are less anti cholinergic c) use it to confirm that a histamine mediated immune response is behind the behaviors, and then find a natural supplement that does the same job. Luteolin, quercetin, coq10, NAC, rutin, PEA, whole food vitamin c are all powerful natural anti histamine. Neuroprotek is a great supplement for this, as is dhist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics