Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Inexpensive family vacation near tri state area?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:22 pm
Hi I would love to take my family with Young kids, teens and 1 married couple on a 2 day getaway next week when everyone is off. I'm not making pesach this year and never have this opportunity with boys bein hazmanim and everyone free to do something. But we're very tight financially. Were in the tri state area. Any ideas? Thank you.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 6:39 pm
In DC all the museums are paid for by taxes. not the spy museums but the smithsoanians.

lotta

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:42 pm
Poconos
Deal-if the weather is decent
Berkshire mountains
Lancaster-Amish town is beautiful. You could do biking on nearby trails...
Philadelphia

Check lodging, minyanim and weather in all the above.
Post once you know where you might be going, and we will all post cheap/free attraction ideas.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:46 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
In DC all the museums are paid for by taxes. not the spy museums but the smithsoanians.

We did this once and absolutely loved it. There’s something for every age. The hotels can be pretty pricey but if you can get that on points then I think it’s a great idea.

You should also try getting senate and White House tickets by speaking to your representative of state. (If it’s not stopped due to Covid). We weren’t able to get tickets beicase we applied to late but a simple email and phone call to our rep did the trick.

DC also has beautiful parks and architecture.

lotta

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 8:09 pm
Adding Cape May.

I believe the zoo is free.
You could do biking along the water
https://www.capemay.com/blog/2.....each/

Check beentheredonethattrips.com for places to visit and ideas to do.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 8:10 pm
What is your budget?
If you're very tight financially, how does it make sense to do a family trip?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 8:12 pm
Camping and hiking, if your family is that type. Super cheap and wholesome fun!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 8:38 pm
Thanks everyone! Great ideas! Will start looking into them.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 8:52 pm
Cherry hill/ Philadelphia.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Beige wrote:
What is your budget?
If you're very tight financially, how does it make sense to do a family trip?

This. Save your money and do 2 day trips. We can help you find free and cheap attractions near your home. Packing up a huge family plus food for an overnight trip is more work that I sounds and the cost will add up fast (hotels room etc) You’ll save a bundle by staying home and doing day trips

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:10 pm
Dc was fun! The museums were free but we were so hungry that we bought snacks there bec there’s barely any kosher food nearby- just 2 fleishig restaurants and one pareve restaurant that we didn’t know about the hechsher.
So we bought food there and it was crazy expensive lol
The zoo is gorgeous and free
Took Ubers instead of paying for parking at a lot of places

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
This. Save your money and do 2 day trips. We can help you find free and cheap attractions near your home. Packing up a huge family plus food for an overnight trip is more work that I sounds and the cost will add up fast (hotels room etc) You’ll save a bundle by staying home and doing day trips
I

I hear you and you're probably right. Just wanted us all to be together spending real quality time. And at home it gets busy and routine and everyone doing their own thing... and boys may want to stay back and learn in shul if it's not an official family vacation..... so..... Im trying but may have to try and work with day trips.

I'm all ears for day trips if we end up resorting to that.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

If you go to DC, make sure to book all Smithsonian museums, like air and space etc . on line. It doesn't cost anything, but you need to prebook. Also Holocaust Museum, costs 1$, but needs to be probooked online. My family really enjoyed. our last stop was Arlington Cemetary. Small march every half hour.

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:13 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Dc was fun! The museums were free but we were so hungry that we bought snacks there bec there’s barely any kosher food nearby- just 2 fleishig restaurants and one pareve restaurant that we didn’t know about the hechsher.
So we bought food there and it was crazy expensive lol
The zoo is gorgeous and free
Took Ubers instead of paying for parking at a lot of places

Silver spring is right there and had a lot of kosher food.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:45 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
We did this once and absolutely loved it. There’s something for every age. The hotels can be pretty pricey but if you can get that on points then I think it’s a great idea.

You should also try getting senate and White House tickets by speaking to your representative of state. (If it’s not stopped due to Covid). We weren’t able to get tickets beicase we applied to late but a simple email and phone call to our rep did the trick.

DC also has beautiful parks and architecture.

For more reasonable hotels look into silver spring MD , a suburb of Washington. Also great options for minaynim and kosher food. You can take the metro from silver spring to Washington. The metro is an extremely simple and easy to use system nothing like NYC subway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics