Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How do I get rid of hundreds of books?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:29 am
I’d prefer not to have to pack them or lug them. Secular books. What’s the easiest, cheapest way?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:31 am
List them on Freecycle. Someone will probably want them.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:32 am
It's hard to find a new home for books. I've recently been cleaning out the house of someone who was niftar. She wanted her books to be donated to a hospital library or similar, but no one was willing to take them. People don't read so much now, and when they do, they often prefer their phone or kindle to paper books.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I’d prefer not to have to pack them or lug them. Secular books. What’s the easiest, cheapest way?

Where do you live?

ETA: I love books, and would happily come take some off your hands if your in my neighborhood.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:45 am
I love books! And good non fiction or memoirs?? Also those guys on Broadway that sell books on the street would happily take them

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:45 am
There is a bookstore I believe on coney island and p that sells used books and buys it off you for like 10 cents a book

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:46 am
The quickest is to dump them in boxes and give it to your library. Maybe they will be willing to pick it up if it’s so much. Call them.

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:14 pm
Hi,
If you live in the NYC area, I would come box and take the whole lot.
You can PM me.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:23 pm
amother Snow wrote:
The quickest is to dump them in boxes and give it to your library. Maybe they will be willing to pick it up if it’s so much. Call them.

My library did not accept books. They wouldn't even allow me to put them into their free give away cart

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:25 pm
My library takes donations for their library book sale. They take up to five boxes at a time if you’re dropping off at the circulation desk. If you have more than that, you can schedule an appointment for them to come to your home and pick them up.

funkyfrummom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 9:46 pm
This is for NYC...

The quickest way is to put them on the street on a recycling pick-up day, then post a pic to freecycle or craiglist and they will be gone within a hour... usually to someone who will resell them.

If you want some cash, you can take them up to 30 (or is it 40) at a time to the Strand and they give you cash. It's very easy-- the info is on their website. In my experience, if your books are in good condition they will almost always buy them. (If you have larger quantities you can talk to one of their book buyers about buying larger quantities.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries