Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Eclipse Inspiration

AllThings

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:32 pm
Someone forwarded to me:

Dear Readers, a thought regarding the upcoming eclipse has hit me like a nuclear bomb. To paraphrase the well-known Shabbos song, if I would have koach, I would run in the streets and scream it on the top of my lungs. I would yell it from the rooftops.
We all know that the eclipse is extremely dangerous for the eyes. The simple reason is because the sun emits powerful UV rays, which can be harmful chalilah for any part of the body in case of overexposure, but the eye is so sensitive that even a few seconds of direct contact can chalilah cause terrible, permanent damage. Normally it is impossible to look straight at the sun for even a second because of the blinding light, but during the eclipse, it feels fine, and it's interesting too - but the harm is the same. People were actually blinded R"l in the eclipse 7 years ago.
We all know this, and we have prepared special glasses. Today, however, there was a flurry of worry amongst Roshei Mosdos in Lakewood that perhaps it would still be dangerous to have children on buses etc. during the 2 hours of the eclipse, because when they are unattended they might look without glasses etc. chalilah. Should there be early dismissal? Late dismissal? [A citywide 2-hour Atzeres Tefillah for the Geulah with all the children?] Daas Torah was urgently consulted, and as of now the somber decision was made to leave things as they are because any way we'll slice it the children can chalilah be in danger.
I assume that this panic attack is similarly being felt across the entire country.

And I scream. I yell. I wail.
"Gevald!! What are we panicking about?! About our children's eyes!! That chalilah their eyes shouldn't come into contact with something which doesn't feel wrong, and they're dying with curiosity to see it - but they don't realize that it can harm them forever chalilah. ARE THERE WORSE THINGS?! Do our homes reflect this protective attitude for our children's eyes? Our phones? Our computers?"
There is so much to be said regarding the eclipse, the earthquake, and more, and perhaps we'll have time iy"H to discuss it, but the urgency of this lesson takes precedence. May we hear Hashem's might מוסר השכל, and may our eyes and our children's eyes and the eyes of all Yidden see בשובך לציון ברחמים.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:49 pm
AllThings wrote:
Someone forwarded to me:

Dear Readers, a thought regarding the upcoming eclipse has hit me like a nuclear bomb. To paraphrase the well-known Shabbos song, if I would have koach, I would run in the streets and scream it on the top of my lungs. I would yell it from the rooftops.
We all know that the eclipse is extremely dangerous for the eyes. The simple reason is because the sun emits powerful UV rays, which can be harmful chalilah for any part of the body in case of overexposure, but the eye is so sensitive that even a few seconds of direct contact can chalilah cause terrible, permanent damage. Normally it is impossible to look straight at the sun for even a second because of the blinding light, but during the eclipse, it feels fine, and it's interesting too - but the harm is the same. People were actually blinded R"l in the eclipse 7 years ago.
We all know this, and we have prepared special glasses. Today, however, there was a flurry of worry amongst Roshei Mosdos in Lakewood that perhaps it would still be dangerous to have children on buses etc. during the 2 hours of the eclipse, because when they are unattended they might look without glasses etc. chalilah. Should there be early dismissal? Late dismissal? [A citywide 2-hour Atzeres Tefillah for the Geulah with all the children?] Daas Torah was urgently consulted, and as of now the somber decision was made to leave things as they are because any way we'll slice it the children can chalilah be in danger.
I assume that this panic attack is similarly being felt across the entire country.

And I scream. I yell. I wail.
"Gevald!! What are we panicking about?! About our children's eyes!! That chalilah their eyes shouldn't come into contact with something which doesn't feel wrong, and they're dying with curiosity to see it - but they don't realize that it can harm them forever chalilah. ARE THERE WORSE THINGS?! Do our homes reflect this protective attitude for our children's eyes? Our phones? Our computers?"
There is so much to be said regarding the eclipse, the earthquake, and more, and perhaps we'll have time iy"H to discuss it, but the urgency of this lesson takes precedence. May we hear Hashem's might מוסר השכל, and may our eyes and our children's eyes and the eyes of all Yidden see בשובך לציון ברחמים.

Ty for your words of inspiration. I have to agree based on my own experience. I did not sufficiently understand the danger and did not sufficiently filter and limit when my son was younger. He is now a teenager and is much more exposed than I would have dreamt. It is sad and frightening to me. I wish I would have set things up differently when he was younger. Sad. May Hashem protect all His children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational