Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
S/O making it/ buying it/ needing it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:34 pm
I get it, it’s the most expensive time of the year. We parents need to budget between everything and all the extras right now and it’s mighty stressful.

I see so many posts stating how the Uber rich and poor all conform to certain standards which leaves the middle class huffing and puffing to match up so their kids don’t feel left out.

May I suggest, each ima reading this takes on one small thing that she will not conform to the society standards. No examples, nothing on my part to suggest to you, but asking if you can do it for yourself and your fellow neighbor? Something visible though.

I find that children are so intuitive and resilient and obviously depending on age you can really explain that “we don’t really need xyz so let’s do without” or whatever other variation. Nothing with bushah or hiding but proudly saying we can do without it.
I honestly don’t think (again, depends on the self esteem and attitude of child, but the regular child should be able to) that children will not only be understanding but proudly repeat what their parents told them.

Share your thoughts on this. Maybe we can make a change one person at a time starting with ourselves.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:36 pm
I love this.
Brainstorming Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
I love this.
Brainstorming Smile

Thanks I’ll start:

I got my children 1 cheap shabbos outfit. And I’ll be making a simcha this season.
I think between wearing a lounge set (read: dressy pajamas that were greatly reduced) and some dressy vochen outfit, one shabbos set is enough per child. It’s ok. We have a washing machine.

We’re prolly not getting shoes for yt since the stores are absolutely packed and their winter shoes still fit. So what if their soles are a bit rubbed off. Will get to it after yt. We don’t have to join a Jewish fashion show on chol hamoed to parade in clothes that rival downpayments in ritzy neighborhoods.

We’re also still wearing our sweatshirts and longs on yt becuase hello New York weather. We’re not wearing shorts. That being said- we didn’t buy shorts yet. We’re waiting for them to be a little more reduced.

But we do read stories, tell the kids how cute they are, do fun hairstyles, dance to music, take long walks, bake, eat meals and schmooze…. I think that’s what counts and makes kids wholesome!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:00 pm
Just noticed it’s in the wrong forum, how do I change? I though I put it in shopping

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:58 pm
I skipped balloons, flowers, centerpieces, hot food, and a professional photographer for my baby’s bris last week. I just didn’t want to spend the money. it was a beautiful and meaningful simcha in a beautiful shul, but not fancy like the last bris I went to there. simple menu, with no fancy cakes or desserts. everyone had a wonderful time, and we didn’t spend extra money we don’t really have.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:05 am
I shopped for my kids in serendipity, and they know and don’t mind! (Ages 13, 11, 6)girls
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise