Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
When is it required to pay overtime?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:47 pm
Employee is sometimes asked to work on weekends or after hours. It used to happen all the time much more rare now. The policy of the institution is that they don’t pay overtime but they are generally flexible about allowing the employee to take off other hours during the week instead.

Is this ok, or are they required to pay overtime?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 2:06 pm
Legally it’s only for hourly employees. So it depends on the wording of the contract- if it’s listed as hourly employee or salaried

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 2:21 pm
it’s only for hourly not salaried workers

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 2:23 pm
Hourly employees for hours worked beyond 40 hours in a week. Doesn't matter whether its on a weekend.

amother
OP

When I used to work for a union they paid me time and half for overtime even though I was salaried. I moved and this new place just expects me to work without paying extra. I am just confused.

NotInNJMommy

You would have to check your local laws and any relevant labor contract or company policies to see if flexing is allowed.

Obviously if they work over 40 hours in a week, those hours are OT and generally must be paid as such.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:33 pm
Check your local laws. What city/state are you in?

My state requires OT for hourly employees, not the exempt/ salaried employees. We qualify if work over 8 hours in a single day or 40 in a week.
However, the salaried employees never get OT.
How are you paid?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:37 pm
If you're a salaried professional, overtime doesn't apply.
Also if you're in a managerial position where you are able to make some decisions.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I used to work for a union they paid me time and half for overtime even though I was salaried. I moved and this new place just expects me to work without paying extra. I am just confused.

That sounds like it could have been something the union negotiated vs a legal requirement. Some employees are exempt from overtime and it's not legally required. You have to figure out if you're exempt or not.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Unions can negotiate terms that are not always industry standard so that might be the reason.
It’s hard to answer which way is right without knowing what your job is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:11 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Check your local laws. What city/state are you in?

My state requires OT for hourly employees, not the exempt/ salaried employees. We qualify if work over 8 hours in a single day or 40 in a week.
However, the salaried employees never get OT.
How are you paid?

I’m in OH get salaried.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m in OH get salaried.

I did a quick Google search.
It depends on if you are exempt or not. That can depend on if you have a managerial or executive type role.
It also depends on income of your company.
Google your city and state and add "overtime laws" to find out...

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m in OH get salaried.

Salaried is typically exempt (meaning no overtime), but you should check your employment contract and local laws

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m in OH get salaried.

My understanding is that OH is not known for their high paying salaries, if you moved from NJ or another higher paying area it makes sense that you’re not getting the same benefits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics