Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this acceptable?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:34 am
I have a meeting in my son's school this week with the menahel and some other people to discuss some things. I also have a 10 month old baby who I don't have anywhere to leave her. Would you think it's OK to bring her along? I can try to have her nap then but it's not a guarantee that she'll actually sleep during the meeting.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:35 am
If she's the type to sit calmly in the stroller it's fine. Otherwise, not really. She will be a distraction for everyone and it will be frustrating and hard to accomplish anything.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:35 am
Depends on your kid. Mine would be trying to crawl all over the office. If she’ll chill quietly in the stroller, I think it’s fine.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:36 am
I wouldnt.

But I know easier said then done.

Hatzlocho.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:37 am
It’s not professional. Is there anyone you can leave her with?

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:40 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
It’s not professional. Is there anyone you can leave her with?

Why does she have to be professional? She's the mother, not the school.

Op, I'd call the school and ask if it's okay if you bring the baby along. I assume they'll say yes.

And if they say no, you'll know, and have to make arrangements.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:41 am
She would sit in the doona for a little bit but not for so long and then we'd just hold her but she'd be babbling a lot. I don't have anywhere to leave her. The people that I've asked all said their not available that day.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:41 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
Why does she have to be professional? She's the mother, not the school.

Op, I'd call the school and ask if it's okay if you bring the baby along. I assume they'll say yes.

And if they say no, you'll know, and have to make arrangements.

It’s an official meeting. It doesn’t look good if she brings her baby. Professional goes both ways.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:46 am
Find a babysitter. You won't be able to accomplish whatever the meeting is designed to work on.
Newborn to under 3 months would be OK as they sleep a lot... unless the baby is a crying all the time type.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:47 am
I would & have done it. This is a school that caters to a population where large families & baby siblings are expected. Suddenly when they call a meeting I have to scramble to find child care?

I've had plenty of meetings with the local public school district (for my child with sn) & wouldn't do it there.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:49 am
I work in a school and see parents bringing kids to meetings all the time. Totally acceptable,

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:51 am
amother OP wrote:
She would sit in the doona for a little bit but not for so long and then we'd just hold her but she'd be babbling a lot. I don't have anywhere to leave her. The people that I've asked all said their not available that day.

I would not take her. She'll be distracting & you need to focus on the meeting & your other child.
Ask neighbors, friends, relatives, pay a babysitter.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:51 am
I brought my baby to a meeting like this. The school wasn’t bothered so to answer your question yes it’s acceptable but it was very distracting to me and I would make every effort not to bring them again.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:52 am
amother Apple wrote:
I would & have done it. This is a school that caters to a population where large families & baby siblings are expected. Suddenly when they call a meeting I have to scramble to find child care?

I've had plenty of meetings with the local public school district (for my child with sn) & wouldn't do it there.

It's not about the school caring or not.
It's about OP not being able to fully focus because the baby will be distracting her.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:57 am
If u can’t find a babysitter I think it’s fine to bring her. It’s understandable not to be able to find a babysitter

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:57 am
I would do it with a younger baby but 10 months needs too much attention to sit through a meeting.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:40 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
I would not take her. She'll be distracting & you need to focus on the meeting & your other child.
Ask neighbors, friends, relatives, pay a babysitter.

Op wrote she tried finding an arrangement without success.

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:54 am
Can you ask the school to reschedule the meeting for a day you have coverage for your baby?

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 12:08 pm
They're not going to take you as seriously if you're busy with a baby. Realize that. Even if they're nice about it, it'll affect the outcome.

Rabbit613

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 12:13 pm
I would try to get a babysitter and if none were available I would take the baby with me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics