Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tendency to diaper rash

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:05 am
I'm not sure diaper rash is the right term, but it's a red irritated backside after pooping.

Baby is 8 months old, was exclusively breastfed until 4 months and I noticed even then backside would look red and irritated after pooping.

Usually I give the baby neutral foods like Bamba, bread, banana, but yesterday I gave orange for the first time and he loved it and ate a lot. I changed his diaper within minutes of him pooping, but it was more red and irritated than usual. Only the backside, the buttocks are never bothered.

Should I not give oranges and other acidic foods?

By the next diaper change, his backside looked normal (normal for him is a little red), but pooping seemed to cause him some distress which it usually doesn't.

What happens to these babies when they get older? Do they outgrow this?

This is my 4th child, none of the others had this issue at all, even if I let them nap in a poop diaper, their backside would be fine after.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:06 am
I wrote A N U S to be medically accurate, and imamothet changed it to "backside", which is unclear.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:40 am
I had this with a few of my kids.

One in particular would get a terrible rash if I left him in a dirty diaper for more than 10 minutes. His skin would literally be raw and bleeding.

Now at age 3 (not yet fully toilet trained) he gets a rash far less frequently, even if he was in the dirty diaper for a few hours overnight.

I would avoid oranges for your baby. I was never able to figure out which foods in particular bothered my son, but if you know, better hold off on them until he grows a bit!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:33 am
Is this since starting solids?

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:19 am
Until you figure things out, I had a child prone to diaper rash, & would often apply cream preemptively to at least help keep it at bay.

Maybe you are already, but good to dry area extra well, air-dry a little if possible, lol I had a little fan I'd dry them off with before diapering.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:23 am
I’d explore allergies

ila

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:44 am
Had similar problem with my son and took his dairy out of his diet and it helped

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:07 am
amother Brown wrote:
Is this since starting solids?

No, was exclusively breastfed until 4mo when I started solids, and I noticed at a week or two that he was more prone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:08 am
ila wrote:
Had similar problem with my son and took his dairy out of his diet and it helped

I've given him cheese a few times, but most days the only dairy he gets is my breastmilk.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:10 am
I'm hoping he can eat oranges etc when he gets older without this problem. Was hoping someone who had a baby like this could tell me what happens when they get older.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:16 am
amother Stone wrote:
Until you figure things out, I had a child prone to diaper rash, & would often apply cream preemptively to at least help keep it at bay.

Maybe you are already, but good to dry area extra well, air-dry a little if possible, lol I had a little fan I'd dry them off with before diapering.

This. Apply vasseline to area at every diaper change to create a barrier.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:21 am
It’s a sensitivity
Putting on Vaseline or any diaper rash cream at every changing to crest a barrier is definitely a great idea
And of course changing him quickly
And of course once he’s toilet trained this won’t happen any more

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:42 am
I had a couple of kids like this. It was just skin sensitivity, which sometimes showed up in other areas as well. I used diaper cream every time I changed a wet diaper too so there would always be a barrier, and tried my best to change every dirty diaper immediately. They outgrew the sensitivity in that area.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:09 am
Btw this child may get redness around the mouth area as well

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:28 am
Try giving him probiotics, see if that helps. Many diaper rashes are yeast related.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics