Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do these things expire?
Previous  1  2

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:25 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You taste the items.

Good idea!
According to my dh everything is dump dump. He's such an unfresh-aphobe.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:28 pm
I didn't read the whole thread, but to the person whose MD said expired meds are ok, s/he is dangerously wrong when it comes to certain things. Check with a pharmacist, who knows more about such things than a prescription jockey. Aspirin, for example, breaks down into acetic and salicylic acids. The blend is utterly useless for relieving symptoms, and is highly irritating to the stomach.

Furthermore, a medication that has lost its effectiveness can be dangerous for a person whose life depends on that med. Manufacturers do date conservatively, plus the med doesn't SPROINGGGGG! the day after its expiration date, so if your med is a few days past its prime, no problema. However, it's not a good idea to hang on to meds that expired many moons ago. Sure, if you just survived a plane crash in the Andes or a shipwreck in the middle of the Pacific and the only thing you have to treat a person on the verge of death is Tylenol that expired a year ago, go ahead and use it--what choice do you have? But don't make it a habit. And iif a med has changed color, texture or smell, GET RID OF IT.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:33 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Good idea!
According to my dh everything is dump dump. He's such an unfresh-aphobe.

Bnei Berak, I adore you, but here I must disagree vociferously. Tasting meds, or foods, to see if they're spoiled is just plain stoopid. It doesn't take much spoiled food, for example, to make a person very very sick. You don't even have to swallow it: depending on the type and degree of spoilage, just a bit on your tongue can introduce into your body enough microbes or microbial toxins to make you very very miserable for a very long time, assuming you survive.

Q of H's hubby has the right of it.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:50 pm
zaq wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread, but to the person whose MD said expired meds are ok, s/he is dangerously wrong when it comes to certain things. Check with a pharmacist, who knows more about such things than a prescription jockey. Aspirin, for example, breaks down into acetic and salicylic acids. The blend is utterly useless for relieving symptoms, and is highly irritating to the stomach.

Furthermore, a medication that has lost its effectiveness can be dangerous for a person whose life depends on that med. Manufacturers do date conservatively, plus the med doesn't SPROINGGGGG! the day after its expiration date, so if your med is a few days past its prime, no problema. However, it's not a good idea to hang on to meds that expired many moons ago. Sure, if you just survived a plane crash in the Andes or a shipwreck in the middle of the Pacific and the only thing you have to treat a person on the verge of death is Tylenol that expired a year ago, go ahead and use it--what choice do you have? But don't make it a habit. And iif a med has changed color, texture or smell, GET RID OF IT.

Zaq, I’m laughing because this is an old thread and you said you didn’t read it - but you posted the second comment on the thread 10 years ago.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:25 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Zaq, I’m laughing because this is an old thread and you said you didn’t read it - but you posted the second comment on the thread 10 years ago.

OMG I did not realize this was an old thread till you pointed it out! Here I am engaging so innocently unaware.
And I am the Queen of annoyance at old threads getting bumped up. Wink

Zaq, I like my acronym Q of H. I guess that makes dh K of H.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:32 am
zaq wrote:
Sure, if you just survived a plane crash in the Andes or a shipwreck in the middle of the Pacific and the only thing you have to treat a person on the verge of death is Tylenol that expired a year ago, go ahead and use it--what choice do you have? But don't make it a habit. And iif a med has changed color, texture or smell, GET RID OF IT.

I have to point out that Tylenol is a mild pain reliever, and will probably be completely ineffective to anyone on the verge of death, in the Pacific or elsewhere!

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:46 am
Q of H, I've been waiting to ask you, why is your avatar a 7 of H?

Queen Of Hearts

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:55 am
penguin wrote:
Q of H, I've been waiting to ask you, why is your avatar a 7 of H?

That was the only avatar available that matched my SN somewhat. Would a bunny have been better? Wink
Now if you can find me the Q of H card I'll be highly indebted to you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics