Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Regular vs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

peace2

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:42 pm
What's the difference between regular and extra virgin olive oil? The extra virgin type is a few dollars more a bottle in the store- do people buy it because of a reason or just because recipes call for it/the bottle looks nicer?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:47 pm
It’s supposed to be less processed and higher quality. Cold pressed and first pressed are even higher quality, and if the bottle lists the acidity level then that’s the highest quality you can get.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:48 pm
IMHO - the thing that matters the most is when the olive oil was pressed. The olive harvest is from autumn to autumn. So check the label - of it's more than a year old - then it's certainly rancid.

If less, then consider the acidity (you want 4.5% or less), and the type of olive that was pressed, and you'll hopefully find something fresh and to your taste

peace2

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:56 pm
I'm not such a foodie or into pure organic ingredients or anything like that. If there's a big benefit of one over the other, I'll spend a few extra dollars. If not, it's not worth it to me. TBH I bought regular olive oil and could not taste a difference in anything I cooked with it so I would only buy extra virgin if there was a strong benefit to it

honeymoon

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:25 pm
peace2 wrote:
I'm not such a foodie or into pure organic ingredients or anything like that. If there's a big benefit of one over the other, I'll spend a few extra dollars. If not, it's not worth it to me. TBH I bought regular olive oil and could not taste a difference in anything I cooked with it so I would only buy extra virgin if there was a strong benefit to it

Extra virgin has a distinct taste which not everyone goes for.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:34 pm
Would it matter which you used for baking?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking