Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
My snacks 😱

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:06 pm
I have so many snacks which are open and unopened.
They take up so much space.
How should I store. Right now they’re in a basket that’s overflowing on my fridge.
They are so un slightly.
I have a tiny pantry by the way. & they just don’t fit

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:08 pm
omg me too! I have a big pantry with nice containers and baskets but it just doesn't work. With a big family, we have big bags of snacks and the kids pack from there. In my organized days, I used to spend a few hours on Sundays repackaging big snack bags into smaller ready made portions. But I don't have that kind of time anymore. And we can't only subsist on individual portion bags...way too expensive

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 6:35 pm
Me too! Tiny pantry too, I usually end up having to reorganize the snacks every couple of days, it gets pretty messy in there... And having less snacks is not really an option either, I wish there was an easier way to organize them

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:13 pm
Same.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:57 pm
Lol.
Didn’t realize this was so common.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:58 pm
I bought a garbage can with a cover that looks very different than my regular can . Line it with a clear garbage bag to differentiate and put it in a corner. And fill it with snacks .stays neat. And if one pops the bag prevents the mess

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:05 pm
Over the door storage organizer

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:28 pm
Cut out all those snacks and give the kids fruit and cheese instead.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:31 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:

If I was rich enough to do that I'd also be rich enough for the household help to clean up the messy snack cabinet...

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:50 pm
amother Currant wrote:
If I was rich enough to do that I'd also be rich enough for the household help to clean up the messy snack cabinet...

And if my kids would be ok with that I wouldn't be dealing with half as much kiddie stomachache and hyper behavior... And if I had a magical way to with minimal effort prevent cheese and produce from getting squished and smelly in their bags...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 6:48 am

Snacks are mine. Lol They are not in healthy by the way
Veg straws, rice cakes & skinny popcorn

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:27 am
Some organizing tips:

- rubber bands are great to wrap loosely around open bags to keep closed

- Clear (so what's inside is more visible) shoe box size bins are helpful for storage

- This tip might help too, an organizer tip that helped me in any area of my home from papers to office supplies to toiletries, is keeping "like with like". So, depending on individual quantity, maybe keep snacks like chips, rice cakes & pretzels all together. Then nuts & seeds in another bin or spot. Then dried fruit, apple sauce, jam & pb etc

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:34 am
Wooden clothespins are great for keeping the bags shut. Line them up next to each other upright

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:42 am

So at snack time do they pull out a hunk of homemade cheese and a shiny apple? Do they bring a small flask of wine as well? Tied up in a cloth with a bit of twine?

Reality: the kids need to be what is considered ‘normal’. And sorry-but as I have seen time and again, the kids who are made to be different find a way to get the junk snacks… without you ever knowing. Or, sometimes remain ‘different’…

At home it is easier to to keep the healthy in check. And kol hakavod. But when they are out: let them be. And they can bring the ‘healthier’ of the junk snacks. Such as ww pretzels, lite popcorn, veggie straws, etc. But they have to be what is considered ‘typical’.

Just IMO and reality.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:43 am

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:16 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
So at snack time do they pull out a hunk of homemade cheese and a shiny apple? Do they bring a small flask of wine as well? Tied up in a cloth with a bit of twine?

Reality: the kids need to be what is considered ‘normal’. And sorry-but as I have seen time and again, the kids who are made to be different find a way to get the junk snacks… without you ever knowing. Or, sometimes remain ‘different’…

At home it is easier to to keep the healthy in check. And kol hakavod. But when they are out: let them be. And they can bring the ‘healthier’ of the junk snacks. Such as ww pretzels, lite popcorn, veggie straws, etc. But they have to be what is considered ‘typical’.

Just IMO and reality.

I'm not debating the advisability of junk food snacks for kids. OP has a problem organizing them. The easiest way to not have to organize them is not to have them.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:29 am
I'm not debating the advisability of junk food snacks for kids. OP has a problem organizing them. The easiest way to not have to organize them is not to have them.

Talk about judgement!

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:45 am
amother OP wrote:
I have so many snacks which are open and unopened.
They take up so much space.
How should I store. Right now they’re in a basket that’s overflowing on my fridge.
They are so un slightly.
I have a tiny pantry by the way. & they just don’t fit

Do you need to buy so many at once?
It makes me crazy to have so many opened snacks. I made a rule that we can only have x amount open and nobody gets to open new snacks until the old ones are used up.
And I just don't stock up so much anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics