Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Best Donuts/Sufganiot Master list (donut, doughnut)
Previous  1  2

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 10:37 am
Monsey list as follows

Rockland koshers are decent
Tam Eden from the hive nothing special
Hava java way to expensive sweet and like sandwiches
Sesame from shell gas station a huge hit

Homemade not the same not worth the work or the mess!

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Anyone tried them?

Yes I had them (the sababa donuts) yesterday, they were really good, I usually like jelly better than custard but their jelly tasted way too fake for me, so I liked the custard better. But their dough is amazing!

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 2:56 pm
I don’t get the hype of sesame donuts?? We bought in the afternoon and ate them at night (maybe bc we didn’t eat them right away?) and me and my kids all agreed they weren’t anything special…I feel like I’m missing something bc everyone goes crazy for them. Sababa donuts and taste of Israel were better

hodeez

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 2:58 pm
I have yet to taste a bad doughnut

tweety1

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:00 pm
hodeez wrote:
I have yet to taste a bad doughnut

I did. From beigels bakery. It was so dry and a drop of filling. Taam eden was soooo good.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:05 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Monsey list as follows

Rockland koshers are decent
Tam Eden from the hive nothing special
Hava java way to expensive sweet and like sandwiches
Sesame from shell gas station a huge hit

Homemade not the same not worth the work or the mess!

Yanay has the best!
Evergreens were also good

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:14 pm
The sesame cheese is delicious.

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:29 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I don’t get the hype of sesame donuts?? We bought in the afternoon and ate them at night (maybe bc we didn’t eat them right away?) and me and my kids all agreed they weren’t anything special…I feel like I’m missing something bc everyone goes crazy for them. Sababa donuts and taste of Israel were better

Agree the texture of the donut is not good needs to be more bouncy they are too heavy of a dougg
They are pretty though
But I have had better donuts even just regular jelly donut at any other store

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:38 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Can you post your recipe?

I use the recipe from spiceandzest.com. if you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to link it for you.
Other times, I've used the challah recipe from homegrown kosher and deep fried it. Those were also out of this world!

isrmss91

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:52 pm
Sesame's donuts filling were very heavy, and filled with very little, (maybe that was a good thing) I could not enjoy them at all. It was too thick and gross. They need to some how figure how to make the fillings more lighter and they would be perfect. I just had a Cappichino filled one and it left a bitter taste in my mouth, literally. I don't think I would run there again, for donuts.
Korns donuts are inexpensive and good.

Schreibers were very good.

Taam Eden on 13th Ave , I bought the White Chocolate Strawberry flavor and it was heavenly. The strawberry cream filling was perfect, light and yummy, and the white chocolate coating was perfection. It was truly "Taam Eden"

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 3:56 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
Sesame's donuts filling were very heavy, and filled with very little, (maybe that was a good thing) I could not enjoy them at all. It was too thick and gross. They need to some how figure how to make the fillings more lighter and they would be perfect. I just had a Cappichino filled one and it left a bitter taste in my mouth, literally. I don't think I would run there again, for donuts.
Korns donuts are inexpensive and good.

Schreibers were very good.

Taam Eden on 13th Ave , I bought the White Chocolate Strawberry flavor and it was heavenly. The strawberry cream filling was perfect, light and yummy, and the white chocolate coating was perfection. It was truly "Taam Eden"

The sesame cappuccino was actually not good but everything else was really good. The jelly also wasn’t great but for the flavored ones they were really good the best as I said before

Tam Eden the milchig strawberry the filling tasted like strawberry leben that they used to make years ago was totally not a fan.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:52 pm
Schreibers are still my favorite. ETA not the fancy new fangled flavors. Just the good old custard (jelly too but I happen not to like jelly). The more expensive lemon meringue and what not are not worth it.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:16 pm
I just made this recipe from the Jewish Bake Box, with a little doughnut maker, and they're actually very yummy! This recipe makes about 30 tiny doughnuts, so double or triple as needed:

2 eggs
5 Tb sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla sugar
1 cup flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
3 Tb vegetable oil
4 Tb orange juice

Glaze:
3 Tb orange juice
1⅓ cup powdered sugar

kenz

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:39 pm
Sesame donuts are very underwhelming. Really nothing major. Taam Eden milchig caramel is out of this world. Some of the other flavors were not as good but still delicious and definitely better than Sesame IMO.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics