Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unalive

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:31 am
I was at least going to ask if this is an actual word, but it comes out as misspelled and nothing comes up as the correct spelling. What is wrong with people? Who would get insulted with the word dead? Is it supposed to make anyone sad? It supposedly means the same thing.

One day they’re going to need to come out with a dictionary to explain pre-woke words. How about we start it. First put in the woke word with the meaning and then the actual word. Using it in a sentence is a plus.

Actually unalive came up in the merrium dictionary as an adjective:
slow of perception or feeling : not alive : UNALERT

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:35 am
Un-alive?

Srsly?

Sounds unintelligent.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:40 am
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books have an undead community, who sometimes refer to themselves as differently alive.

For those who aren't familiar with Terry Pratchett, satire was a major theme of his writing.

sandyish

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:41 am
People don’t use this word to be “woke”. They use it to get around content filters that many social media platforms have (the algorithm won’t push out your content at all or as much if you use violent or controversial words).

kiti

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 6:42 am
sandyish wrote:
People don’t use this word to be “woke”. They use it to get around content filters that many social media platforms have (the algorithm won’t push out your content at all or as much if you use violent or controversial words).

Yep this is the reason why

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:11 am
sandyish wrote:

That’s good to hear because it’s so annoying

Busybee5

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:25 am
Never heard of the word. Doesn't make sense in the English language.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Sun, Dec 03 2023, 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:28 am
I’m in a few houseplant FB groups.

This word is used a lot to describe plants that died; the word died or dead will often trigger FB’s filters and not allow the post to be published.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 7:30 am
sandyish wrote:

At this point it's become slang for Gen z.

number

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 8:22 am
I’ve only ever seen it as a euphemism for suicide (unalive themselves) and it’s to get around content filters.

number

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 8:23 am
LovesHashem wrote:
At this point it's become slang for Gen z.
Because gen z is perpetually online.

bgr8ful

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:11 pm
Unhoused is another one. For homeless ppl.
Both of these I think are sometimes used to get around the algorithms, but I do think there are people who genuinely use it so as not to “trigger” anyone. As if using another word that means the exact same thing is any less triggering. Idk ppl confuse me.

chassidisheveib

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:14 pm
DrMom wrote:
Un-alive?

Srsly?

Sounds unintelligent.

YouTubers aren’t allowed to say dead or died so they say unalive. Otherwise the well be demonotized and won’t make $$

Tao

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:10 pm
In my days, we said dead. And I'm in my 20's. Is this supposed to be another politically correct term? Let me know, so I can make sure to davka not use it as much as possible

singleagain

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 5:15 pm
At least 4 posters already said this is too get around various filters on social media.

It's no different than someone in this website writing zex, sx etc to get around the imamother filter.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:20 am
chassidisheveib wrote:
YouTubers aren’t allowed to say dead or died so they say unalive. Otherwise the well be demonotized and won’t make $$

Ah, okay. Got it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:43 am
singleagain wrote:
At least 4 posters already said this is too get around various filters on social media.

It's no different than someone in this website writing zex, sx etc to get around the imamother filter.

Lol! This thread is a great example of people commenting without reading the other comments.

While “unalived” and other terms started as a way to prevent demonetization on Youtube and Tiktok, these terms did become part of Gen Z slang. Not to be PC or whatever, but just as a natural development from the original reason.

cbsp

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:19 am
watergirl wrote:
Lol! This thread is a great example of people commenting without reading the other comments.

While “unalived” and other terms started as a way to prevent demonetization on Youtube and Tiktok, these terms did become part of Gen Z slang. Not to be PC or whatever, but just as a natural development from the original reason.

Thank you for that image. I laughed my way through the page but don't think I'd be able to handle a chapter let alone an entire series of that...

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 8:33 am
watergirl wrote:

OMG! I had totally forgotten about that translation... Thank you for sharing it again.

And yes... Any word that starts out for any reason can catch on and spread. I think one of the reasons is that ppl are too lazy (?) Or just don't want to keep track which social media it's banned on so they use it across all social media.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics