Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Where to keep things

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:46 pm
I just moved to a house, a miracle that we pulled it off and I'm so excited! The problem is I can't seem to find places for things. There really are hardly any closets.
We have a small coat closet and the master bedroom has a closet, that's all.
We got wardrobes for the bedrooms and the kitchen has a pantry but I'm still stuck on a few other things. Things that need to be accessible so don't really belong in the unfinished cellar.
Where do I keep all the cleaning supplies and toilet paper, paper towels, tissues etc? There is no room in the bathrooms for closets.
Where do I keep the extra tables and chairs that we use for guests most shabbosim?
We are willing to get free standing closets or organizing furniture but I don't know what makes most sense.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:59 pm
Do you have an attached garage? If you do, that's an ideal location for tables amd chairs, backstop of tissues/paper towel, etc.

As far as cleaning supplies, where do you keep your broom and mop? Ideally cleaning supplies would go near them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
Do you have an attached garage? If you do, that's an ideal location for tables amd chairs, backstop of tissues/paper towel, etc.

As far as cleaning supplies, where do you keep your broom and mop? Ideally cleaning supplies would go near them.

No garage. Just an unfinished cellar for long term storage. The broom is in the kitchen in a pull out thing. The mop is in the bathroom.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
No garage. Just an unfinished cellar for long term storage. The broom is in the kitchen in a pull out thing. The mop is in the bathroom.

If you have enough cabinet space in the kitchen, you can assign either one cabinet, or the upper shelves throughout the kitchen, to tissues/paper towels. (You can use tongs to pull them down)

Cleaning supplies - you can divide by type and store them accordingly. I keep under my kitchen sink soap, silver polish, windex, all purpose cleaner - all things I use in and around my kitchen. If your broom pull-out area has a shelf, you can put cleaning supplies there insteas. Your mop is in the bathroom - so you can keep the floor cleaner and other heavy duty cleaners in the bathroom too, maybe under the bathroom sink. Just make sure they're childproof.

As far as table and chairs for hosting - if you host very often, it might make sense to keep them in the dining room. If you host infrequently, then probably in the cellar. If neither solution appeals to you, I wonder if it makes sense to build some kind of all-purpose closet which can hold pretty much everything you're having challenges with.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:24 pm
Where's your washer dryer? It may make sense to set up a cleaning supply closet in the laundry room/near the washer dryer.
Otherwise, just set it up a free standing closet where it makes sense based on your layout.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:45 pm
I keep most of those things in my laundry room. Be creative about where to put shelving or cabinets to fit the max. You can also buy an outdoor shed to store things like extra tables and chairs, bikes, sukkah/ decorations, etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:49 pm
I think we may have to divide up the cleaning supplies. Or maybe get a closet but what kind of closet can we build or buy that will fit tables and chairs. We use them on a very regular basis.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics