Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Flowers

Bubbles77

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:15 am
Can you teach me how to take care of cut flowers properly?
Here's what I know: cut the stems diagonally before putting them in water. No leaves below water level. Change the water every day.

How long can cut flowers last? I get frustrated when the flowers still look nice but I see fuzz developing in the water. Shouldn't they be able to last until they don't look good anymore? I hate the smell of the fuzz and don't like cleaning it from the vase. Is there something I can add to the water to prevent it?

I don't know what type of flowers they are, my husband picks then up. I think the main flowers are some sort of daisy. There's also usually non-flowers in the bunch that don't trim nicely, I have to rip off the bottom. Maybe those are the issue because they're more like sticks.
Any tips for me?

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:23 am
Bubbles77 wrote:
Here's what I know: cut the stems diagonally before putting them in water. No leaves below water level. Change the water every day.

How long can cut flowers last? I get frustrated when the flowers still look nice but I see fuzz developing in the water. Shouldn't they be able to last until they don't look good anymore? I hate the smell of the fuzz and don't like cleaning it from the vase. Is there something I can add to the water to prevent it?

I don't know what type of flowers they are, my husband picks then up. I think the main flowers are some sort of daisy. There's also usually non-flowers in the bunch that don't trim nicely, I have to rip off the bottom. Maybe those are the issue because they're more like sticks.
Any tips for me?

Use lukewarm water and put a bit of sugar in it.

Perly1

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:09 am
Perhaps ask DH if he can try different flowers like roses (although how long they last depends on quality) The basic daisy type bunch does go mushy and makes the water smell.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:22 am
Bubbles77 wrote:

Any tips for me?

Hard stems need warm to hot water
Softer stems colder water
Change the water daily
Add one tsp and a tsp of bleach which prevents bacteria.
Never put flowers close to fruit or they will wilt far quicker.
Never in direct sun light
Flowers survive better and longer in a cool room.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:44 am
Carnations last the longest.

Buy vegetable glycerin on Amazon, use about 1/3-1/4 of that, the rest water. The flowers will soak up the glycerine and last double the time.

A few drops of hydrogen peroxide every few days should prevent the mold.

Bubbles77

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:33 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Hard stems need warm to hot water
Softer stems colder water
Change the water daily
Add one tsp and a tsp of bleach which prevents bacteria.
Never put flowers close to fruit or they will wilt far quicker.
Never in direct sun light
Flowers survive better and longer in a cool room.

1 tsp of bleach and was there another thing u meant to write?
Someone else wrote sugar but I also heard that's only for roses, if anyone knows that would be helpful.
Also if the bunch has 2 types of stems how do I know which flower to prioritize for water temp?
Thanks for your advice!

Bubbles77

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:34 am
Perly1 wrote:
Perhaps ask DH if he can try different flowers like roses (although how long they last depends on quality) The basic daisy type bunch does go mushy and makes the water smell.

Yay so it's not just me then Smile not sure how much more we want to spend on flowers each week but at least I know that if we chose differently it would affect things!

Bubbles77

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:35 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Carnations last the longest.

Buy vegetable glycerin on Amazon, use about 1/3-1/4 of that, the rest water. The flowers will soak up the glycerine and last double the time.

A few drops of hydrogen peroxide every few days should prevent the mold.

Cool thank you!
And also thank you to the first poster!
Really appreciate all the tips

Mommyflower

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:50 am
The tips above will help preserve the flowers longer as will the type. Roses can last longer with the right care as can carnations (not everyone's favorite, but still mine). Alstroemeria (sometimes called Peruvian Lillies) sometimes goes 2 weeks. Mums are very hardy as well. Statice (purple papery clusters) lasts forever and then can be dried. A nice alternative is an orchid plant (available at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). I find they last at least a few months. The one issue is that you have to place them on the table before Shabbos and can't move or touch them due to muktzah reasons. However, they are very elegant.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 6:07 am
Bubbles77 wrote:
1 tsp of bleach and was there another thing u meant to write?
Someone else wrote sugar but I also heard that's only for roses, if anyone knows that would be helpful.
Also if the bunch has 2 types of stems how do I know which flower to prioritize for water temp?
Thanks for your advice!

Sorry, add sugar and bleach.
Flowers love sugar but sugar in water create bacteria. Therefore you add bleach.
If you have a mix of soft and hard stems in would ask the florist what to do or just use room temp water.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 6:12 am
One more thing: Cut off a bit of the stems every day when you change the water. The stems get clogged so get them a new cut.
Always cut on a slant. Bigger surface.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 7:17 am
Mommyflower wrote:
The tips above will help preserve the flowers longer as will the type. Roses can last longer with the right care as can carnations (not everyone's favorite, but still mine). Alstroemeria (sometimes called Peruvian Lillies) sometimes goes 2 weeks. Mums are very hardy as well. Statice (purple papery clusters) lasts forever and then can be dried. A nice alternative is an orchid plant (available at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). I find they last at least a few months. The one issue is that you have to place them on the table before Shabbos and can't move or touch them due to muktzah reasons. However, they are very elegant.

My Rav told me that if an orchid (or any plant) is in a ceramic planter without holes (even if it’s a plastic cache pot inside) I can move it on Shabbos. Check with your LOR.

Bubbles77

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 12:33 pm
Thanks so much everyone! I'll combine the advice here and try sugar and hydrogen peroxide since I don't like dealing with bleach. We'll see how this week's flowers last!

salt

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 1:44 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Sorry, add sugar and bleach.
Flowers love sugar but sugar in water create bacteria. Therefore you add bleach.
If you have a mix of soft and hard stems in would ask the florist what to do or just use room temp water.

Wow! This is what I learnt from my savta 25 years ago, and I still do it! Sugar and bleach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics