Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I being underpaid??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:09 am
So I work as a supervisor of a sub-department within a very large company in the tristate area. I have a masters (though it's not necessarily being used for this job) and I have a lot of skills that I would think make me a valuable employee (very tech-savvy, quick on the uptake, a lot of self-initiative, I trained in most of the team underneath me, and worked with the processes of our department to pull it all to a much more efficient, smooth, and streamlined process). I know that everyone is very happy with my work- I'm not assuming, I've heard it from multiple people. I am being paid $35 an hour. I asked for a raise, they are telling me that they feel they are already overpaying for the job. I feel like $35 is really not much these days, and entry-level jobs are paying that much. Am I wrong? What is a reasonable amount for a supervisor to expect to be making?

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:14 am
amother OP wrote:
So I work as a supervisor of a sub-department within a very large company in the tristate area. I have a masters (though it's not necessarily being used for this job) and I have a lot of skills that I would think make me a valuable employee (very tech-savvy, quick on the uptake, a lot of self-initiative, I trained in most of the team underneath me, and worked with the processes of our department to pull it all to a much more efficient, smooth, and streamlined process). I know that everyone is very happy with my work- I'm not assuming, I've heard it from multiple people. I am being paid $35 an hour. I asked for a raise, they are telling me that they feel they are already overpaying for the job. I feel like $35 is really not much these days, and entry-level jobs are paying that much. Am I wrong? What is a reasonable amount for a supervisor to expect to be making?

How many hours a week?

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:15 am
It’s definitely to the lower end
Are you getting any benefits?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:22 am
Odd that you are hourly with that job description.

effess

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:25 am
Do you have a good package?
Paid time off?
Insurance?
Sick days?
Etc.
You might be making a nice Salary
If no to any benefits, then it’s low.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:49 am
Oh, it's not hourly. It's $70k a year, but it's 35 hours a week so I made that cheshbon. (Hmm I'm just thinking, it's probably closer to $39 an hour because I got a small raise of 1200 last year so now it's 71,200 annually.) There are benefits but rly not amazing ones. I'm working remotely, (which is definitely a benefit), so they're giving me a bit of a hard time about that, but they do agree that I am definitely doing the work and I know I'm putting in the hours, I track my time and clock in and out.

Yes sick days, yes PTO, and off for Chol Hamoed and yomim tovim. The insurance wasn't a good enough deal for me to get it, so we're on a healthshare.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:57 am
What do they pay the staff you supervise?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 1:38 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
What do they pay the staff you supervise?

That, I don't know. I'm not privy to that info. In general, there's no info about what others are being paid.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 1:40 am
Short answer, most probably yes.

I would suggest you look into what other similar companies are/would offer.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 1:45 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Short answer, most probably yes.

I would suggest you look into what other similar companies are/would offer.

But be realistic that a remote supervisor role, for a new hire will be hard to find. But if you can get an offer, use that to negotiate with where you are now.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 1:46 am
That's true, the remote aspect is hard to find so ot might still be worth it.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 2:02 am
op I manage a company and I make about 90k but I have been there for 7 years and I work very hard and make sure everything needed gets done. The job is flexible hourly wise. I was thinking of switching to a higher paying job which would take time to find but that will mean starting over and learning the ropes all over again and dealing with a new set of "employment rules" which I am not in the mood for.

If you like your job and your bosses are nice I would suggest staying and using a new job offer as leverage. Maybe put what you are looking for in a raise in an email so they can see in writing explain to them what you do to help company growth point out all the items you have assisted with, fixed, implemented etc. detail it out as much as possible.

Good luck!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 2:06 am
The fact that its remote changes everything. Companies generally don't pay as much for remote.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 2:30 am
That's sounds in line with remote low to middle end management.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics