Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Succos Menu 2023
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 5:15 am
For pastrami rice- I’m not sure how the poster makes hers but here’s how I do it.

Bake rice covered in oven.
Sauté an onion.
Cube pieces of deli or pastrami slices.
Add onion and pastrami to the rice with a generous amount of duck sauce.
Mix and put back in oven for 15 minutes

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 5:40 am
How do you all cook this much?! I could cry thinking I’ll have to do this someday. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate my parents for hosting us.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:11 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
How do you all cook this much?! I could cry thinking I’ll have to do this someday. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate my parents for hosting us.

Truthfully it looks very impressive but totally unnecessary.
There's exactly 2 days of yom tov and one of them is shabbos.
Most of the menus look delicious but have way too much food !
And we're a big family, I'm hosting 4 married couples with a few grand children and my in laws and my single kids...

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:24 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

I only cook like this when I host huge meals! Dw this is not a weekly situation also we have bochrim so the more food the better lol

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:22 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

Yes, definitely appreciate them and thank them and help if you can!
I cook in advance and freeze.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:33 am
I am cooking for 10 people. My back hurts. My feet hurt. There is so much to do even with cooking in advance.
The thought of people leaving the table hungry and wishing for something good to eat is what pushes me to keep going.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:44 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
I am cooking for 10 people. My back hurts. My feet hurt. There is so much to do even with cooking in advance.
The thought of people leaving the table hungry and wishing for something good to eat is what pushes me to keep going.

You're not doing anyone a mitzvah if you knock yourself out, the way I did. I am laid up with a slipped disc thanks to my pre Yom Tov cooking.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:22 am
amother Jade wrote:
You're not doing anyone a mitzvah if you knock yourself out, the way I did. I am laid up with a slipped disc thanks to my pre Yom Tov cooking.

A slipped disc… yes, I actually had that a few years ago. All I did was bend down to reorganize my freezer to make room for the pans of schnitzel and challah.
It happened before Yom Kippur. I couldn’t go to shul. The pain was terrible. I went to a chiropractor and few times. I didn’t feel immediate relief but I felt better sooner than I thought I would.
Refuah shelaima to you. If you can get to a chiropractor it can be helpful. That is real pain.
I’m dealing with sciatic pain now but I’m off to the kitchen.
Not fun at all but what do you do when new daughters in law are coming?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:42 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
For pastrami rice- I’m not sure how the poster makes hers but here’s how I do it.

Bake rice covered in oven.
Sauté an onion.
Cube pieces of deli or pastrami slices.
Add onion and pastrami to the rice with a generous amount of duck sauce.
Mix and put back in oven for 15 minutes

Thank you. Do you spice the rice with soup mix and soy sauce or just salt and pepper?

smile4ever

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:52 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Can you please post how to make pastrami rice?

Idk if it's the recipe she uses but the bais yaakov cookbook has a really good recipe for it

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:57 am
justayiddena wrote:
Can you share the fruit salad with strawberry sauce recipe.

Sure!

I cut up watermelon, canteloupe and honeydew into small pieces. I cut up grapes into quarters.
Put them together in a container and mix (I've added kiwi pieces too sometimes... or any other fruit that makes sense).

Cook up frozen strawberries in a little water until soft. Blend together with an immersion blender so it becomes a sauce. Add sugar to taste so it's sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet. If the strawberry sauce tastes bitter, add vanilla sugar (this really helps).

When serving, I do individual portions and generously drizzle the strawberry sauce on top.

For those who like different textures, you can probably put some sort of crumbly thing on top, like granola or nut crunch type of thing or something like that.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:59 am
amother Jade wrote:
Thank you. Do you spice the rice with soup mix and soy sauce or just salt and pepper?

No. The sautéed onion and duck sauce gives it a lot of flavor.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:02 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Truthfully it looks very impressive but totally unnecessary.
There's exactly 2 days of yom tov and one of them is shabbos.
Most of the menus look delicious but have way too much food !
And we're a big family, I'm hosting 4 married couples with a few grand children and my in laws and my single kids...

It's 2 days of Y"T plus 2 days of Y"T. I don't want to spend Chol Hamoed cooking in the middle.
And one of my parents will be with us for part of it and generally does not eat animal proteins, so that means more salads/side dishes type of food for that parent to fill up on. For me, all the sides may not be necessary, but I need at least 3 per meal and don't want to serve the same for all the seudos. And then I want to also make something my kids will eat too, and some like different things.

I definitely overdo things sometimes, but I learned to eliminate things from my list as we get closer to Y"T.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:25 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

You'll be so happy when family comes to visit that the cooking will feel like a side point. Don't worry.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:43 pm
proudmomma wrote:
Hi! Your menu sounds AMAZING! I'd love to have your carrot soup recipe and the house pecan salad recipe please.
I'm looking for more low carb upscale dishes if anyone has any suggestions.

Carrot soup is one of my favorites!
Here it is:

10 large carrots, peeled (the loose big ones not the ones in the bag)
4 celery stalks
2 zucchini, peeled (can use parsnip, but zucchini is lower carb)
2 onions
2 cloves garlic (I use 2 frozen cubes)
1 T chicken soup mix
2 t. salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 frozen parsley cubes
1 frozen dill cube
(or u can do fresh herbs)
1 T. oil

Dice 2 of the carrots and place in mesh boiler bag. Cut rest of veggies in chunks.

Heat oil and brown onions. Add garlic, celery. Then add zucchini and carrots and the bag of diced carrots. Add water just to cover veggies and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 and 1.5 hours. Remove bag and blend soup. Then cut open mesh bag and empty it into the soup. Adjust seasonings, if needed.

Pecan House Salad
2 lb. mixed leafy greens (I just use romaine)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 avocado, chopped (I usually use 1 1/2)
1/2 c. honey glazed pecans, chopped

Dressing:
2 T dijon mustard
2 T oil
2 T vinegar
2 T honey
1 frozen garlic cube.

Mix dressing into salad right before serving.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 10:51 pm
Ok couldn't post until now because didn't have a menu or food planned Smile
And really it's not a menu, we will eat the food at whichever seudah we feel like. Smile
The meat was made for RH and there were leftovers.

Now after all those disclaimers...

Eating out for one seudah.

Challah
Taco salad
Cholent
Yerushalmi kugel
Brownies

Challah
Gefilte fish in sauce
Caesar salad
Chicken soup with kneidlach
Pickled deckel