Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Shiurim for eating on yk

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:08 pm
Due to a med condition this year I will not be fasting in yk. Finding it hard to wrap by brain around but it is what it is.

For those of you that fast- how do u do the shiurim? What foods etc work best? My rav said I can have 1 oz liquid and 1 oz food every 10 mins .

I know that the shnapps cups are 1 oz so good for measuring…

All tips welcome thx

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:10 pm
Last year when I was expecting I had grapejuice, rice and smashed eggs as shiruim and I did well on them however I was in bed most of the day saying tehilim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:13 pm
Thx, bumping for more ideas.

Have little ones home, don’t think I ll be in bed maybe on couch if they ll be ok

saralem

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:09 pm
Try Greek yogurt.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Due to a med condition this year I will not be fasting in yk. Finding it hard to wrap by brain around but it is what it is.

For those of you that fast- how do u do the shiurim? What foods etc work best? My rav said I can have 1 oz liquid and 1 oz food every 10 mins .

I know that the shnapps cups are 1 oz so good for measuring…

All tips welcome thx

I drink Gatorade and try to eat a protein snack like a nut mix or something. Sometimes I’ll get some bars and divide them. One year I had some string cheese, but that didn’t work out so well.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:26 pm
I have done shiurim- only drinking. I was told I can have the most calorie rich drink to make it worth the most (like chocolate mil/ Gatorade/ grape juice)

Also I noticed the schnapps cups were 1 oz to the line, but not to the tippy top. So double check before you use it.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:48 pm
Naked juice as the liquid

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:32 pm
Doesn it have to be every 10 minutes or is it no less than 10 minutes (can you do an hour, let's say)?

chassidisheveib

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:36 pm
Last year the rov told me every 7-10 min I can eat or drink less than an ounce and less than 18 grams. Which I had to measure on a good scale because I couldn’t get an accurate answer from google. I was 8 months with twins then I had a ounce of water 10 min later less than 18 grams of Melba toast and ten minutes later I had water ten minutes later I had a half a wafer since 1 water is 22 grams. I felt bad so I stretched the tone longer with time between eating and drinking.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:40 pm
Pretzels
Snackers
Protein bars
Granola balls (Trader joes sells them perfect size)

Drink vitamin water
Powerade
Protein shake

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Doesn it have to be every 10 minutes or is it no less than 10 minutes (can you do an hour, let's say)?

Different rabbanim say different things. I was told every 9 minutes for drinks and every 13 minutes (I think those are what I was told) for food. I alternate, every 10 minutes a drink, then 10 minutes later something to eat.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:28 pm
Last year I was in middle of a high-risk pregnancy and I had to do shiurim.
I alternated grape juice, vitamin water, and protein shake powder mixed with milk (that I prepared before YT). My sister came over to help me with the rest of the kids, and I pretty much stayed in bed all day. I think it was every 9 minutes. But later in the day, when I saw that I'm feeling fine and it was just a few hours from the end, I started stretching it out longer.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

It won't work if you only have less than an ounce every hour. The point is to get enough nourishment/ hydration to not have negative results from the fast. If you do it every 10 min, excluding sleep/nap time, then the total is enough to keep you safe. If you skip too many then it's not going to be enough.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:44 pm
Years ago I had this. Every ten minutes I alternated a 1 oz schnapps cup of Gatorade with a 1 oz schnapps cup of banana cut to fit.

worknights1313

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:46 pm
My one suggestion is do not drink or eat anything sugary. Hubby made me shakes. I felt so sick from drinking those and eating something sugary. It was wretched.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:00 pm
I was also told I’m not allowed to fast this year.
I plan on getting IV. In my neighborhood there are locations you can go in on y”t or there’s the option to get the port put in on erev and go home with the fluids and instructions. There’s also an option to have someone come to your home.
I still need to confirm with my Dayan before…

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:13 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I was also told I’m not allowed to fast this year.
I plan on getting IV. In my neighborhood there are locations you can go in on y”t or there’s the option to get the port put in on erev and go home with the fluids and instructions. There’s also an option to have someone come to your home.
I still need to confirm with my Dayan before…

With all due respect, I don’t understand this. If you were told not only that you should but that you aren’t allowed to fast, why are you trying to?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur