Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Erev Yom tov to dos

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:04 pm
My husband is in the holy land for rosh hashana. I'm trying to figure out what I need to remember to do for Yom tov. Can anyone help out here with last minute checklist?
Like: which candles and to light when?
What goes on the blech/ in the oven? How do I set it all up?
Clothing?
Food to take out and when?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:21 pm
I think we all do this differently. Maybe a parent or sibling would know your specific situation best and can advise.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband is in the holy land for rosh hashana. I'm trying to figure out what I need to remember to do for Yom tov. Can anyone help out here with last minute checklist?
Like: which candles and to light when?
What goes on the blech/ in the oven? How do I set it all up?
Clothing?
Food to take out and when?

Candles:
First night - regular Shabbos, have to light by the zman. You say "Lehadlik ner Shel Shabbos vshel Yom Tov" and Shehechyanu
Second Night - You don't have to light by the zman, you first light the candles and then say the brachos. Remember Shehechyanu

Make sure you light a Yartzeit candle before Shabbos

Food to take out - You can only take out food once Shabbos is over for the second day.

Busybee5

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Candles:
First night - regular Shabbos, have to light by the zman. You say "Lehadlik ner Shel Shabbos vshel Yom Tov" and Shehechyanu
Second Night - You don't have to light by the zman, you first light the candles and then say the brachos. Remember Shehechyanu

Food to take out - You can only take out food once Shabbos is over for the second day.

I take all food, for the whole yom tov, out on erev.
It defrosts in the fridge.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:56 pm
Random things to do before Yom Tov (dh does it so would never remember if he wasn't home)

Hot water urn
Shabbos clocks
Dishpan
Yartzeit Candle
Shabbos Lamps

fleetwood

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:05 pm
Why would you light a yarzheit candle,there is no yizkor

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:09 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Why would you light a yarzheit candle,there is no yizkor

Some people don’t leave a flame on stovetop and need. A fire lit to take from to light candle second night

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:09 pm
To transfer a flame if you don't have a gas stove or find it easier to light second night

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:28 pm
Candles:

Thank you! And to all the others too!

Any other advice?

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:32 pm
Make sure you have clean clothes for all the kids and yourself for 2 days.

Cut toilet paper
Cut paper towels
Aluminum foil, parchment paper...

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:33 pm
Prepare a new fruit for tomorrow night.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:33 pm
Set the refrigerator to shabbos mode/close the lights in the fridge.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:45 pm
Don't forget you need to make havdala on the second night and to buy a yaknehaz candle if you don't like to hold 2 flames together or make your own.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:48 pm
Candles:

Just to add- because the second night falls on motzei shabbos, before you light yt candles you must say “Baruch hamavdil bein kodesh l’kodesh”

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 2:18 pm
If you have an alarm or camera set it to bypass or shut it off. Adjust timers for lights and hot tray if you use them. Trim wicks on candles. Open extra tissues or rip toilet paper. Tear foil and paper towels. Set up hot water urn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur