Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Paid a family Leave

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:29 am
Does anyone here receive paid famiky leave through their agency for things like p3, teaching or title one? Do you get paid through it in summer months? Thanks

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:43 am
Yes I'm a speech therapist and I got it through my agency. You need to be paid on a w2 and working a minimum amount of time before your claim (I think a year or so).

I have taken it in the summer.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:49 am
This is going to be state specific. In NJ pfl is paid by the government and teachers aren't eligible for it in the summer unless they normally work 12 months

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:51 am
I'm in NY

I always work summers so it was never an issue for me to claim pfl in the summer

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 8:51 am
I got it through my agency in ny but I'm paid on a W2. 1099 isn't eligible as far as I know unless you pay into it beforehand. I did use some in the summer

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:29 am
Thanks for all the quick responses! They denied my claim through the summer months bc I generally work the school year. Do they want me to take two more months off during school? Can’t figure this out

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:31 am
I could technically work in the summer so it was approved.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the quick responses! They denied my claim through the summer months bc I generally work the school year. Do they want me to take two more months off during school? Can’t figure this out

Yup. Or just not take it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:07 am
amother OP wrote:

The insurance company that processed your claim does not care if you take off 2 months during the school year. Your school probably cares, but if you are legally entitled to it then you can do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics