Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to use Paypal without paying them a percentage

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:19 pm
Doesn't this exist?

A relative wants to send us money, and she wants us to receive the full amount. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do this. (We don't have a Zelle account.)

I recall that there was an option to send money via Paypal as a gift, in which case they didn't take a cut. Over the past few years, I've noticed this option disappear so I thought they no longer offer it and they now take a percentage across the board.

A few days ago, this relative told me that someone else sent her a money request via Paypal and she sent it and the full amount was received. So it seems there is a way to do this without paying a cut. I just don't know what it is.

Someone told me that it has to do with whether your account is connected to an American or Israeli bank account and that only Israeli accounts have to pay, but our Paypal account is connected to our American bank account, so I don't understand this.

Any help would be appreciated.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:20 pm
Someone always pays the fees.

For friends and family it’s the one sending the money, for business it’s the one receiving it.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:20 pm
Could your Paypal account have been set up as a business account? Only personal accounts are eligible for no-fee transfers (as of a year or so ago).

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Someone always pays the fees.

For friends and family it’s the one sending the money, for business it’s the one receiving it.

My relative insists that the full payment was received in the transaction from a few days ago. Confused

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
Could your Paypal account have been set up as a business account? Only personal accounts are eligible for no-fee transfers (as of a year or so ago).

No, it's a personal account to the best of my knowledge.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:35 pm
beloved wrote:
My relative insists that the full payment was received in the transaction from a few days ago. Confused

A personal account in America can send to another American personal account as "Friends and Family." This feature does not work if the recipient has a business account (this is relatively new).

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:38 pm
I have sent and received with no fees.all America accounts. For friends and family. Maybe a business account is different? Mine isn't one.

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:39 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
A personal account in America can send to another American personal account as "Friends and Family." This feature does not work if the recipient has a business account (this is relatively new).

Maybe mine is set up as an Israeli account then? What makes an account American vs. Israeli? I live in Israel, but so does the person she sent money to a few days ago and she received the full amount, so it doesn't seem to be based only on location.

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:40 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I have sent and received with no fees.all America accounts. For friends and family. Maybe a business account is different? Mine isn't one.

Neither is mine. Confused

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:55 pm
What happens when they try to send it to you as friends and family? That should be the way to do it.

beloved

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:44 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
What happens when they try to send it to you as friends and family? That should be the way to do it.

I'm not sure she had that option. I don't have it when I send a payment.

I just checked and I see that the primary address I have on file is an Israeli address. I assume that's where the problem is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics