Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
S/O now with a poll. Feeding your baby.
Previous  1  2

Do you feel people judge you negatively?
I formula feed/fed and I feel people look down at me  
 31%  [ 39 ]
I breastfeed/fed and I feel people look down at me  
 13%  [ 17 ]
I do both so I make both parties happy  
 9%  [ 11 ]
I do both and feel judged anyway  
 13%  [ 16 ]
I give my babies cow’s or goat’s milk  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I judge others for the way they feed  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Do babies need to make a bracha on breast milk once they can talk?  
 7%  [ 9 ]
Other  
 22%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 122

cupcake123

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
I do feel judged though. I know formula is garbage, teh first ingredient is corn syrup. But it doesnt help when people say "fed isnt best, fed is bare minimum. breast is best" ive seen that rhetoric tons online

More like "fed is best" isn't what we're discussing when people debate these things. If people debate what's better to starve or feed a baby I think everyone agrees "fed is best " but most of the debates aren't that. Breast is best compared to formula. However , you gotta do what you gotta do...some people don't want to BF for whatever reason or can't physically ...there's a bunch of valid reasons but breast still remains best when compared to formula.
That's why I don't like fed is best line...
And that is my unpopular opinion for today 😊

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:37 pm
I have gotten comments from my shvigger and second shvigger only. You should stop, that's too much, you won't be able to do it.

I also just feel uncomfortable vibes when I'm nursing in front of other people, I don't think society is where it should be when it comes to accommodating nursing moms and getting rid of their nipple phobia.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:43 pm
I have felt judged by my inlaws (mil and sils) for bf'ing. Some of my babies are colicky and cry a lot no matter how much or little I nurse them. I tried feeding on demand and I tried scheduling feeds and nothing helped until they got a bit older and settled down. My pediatrician wasn't concerned either. But I didn't stop getting comments that I should just give him a bottle... As if that's the cure to all ails. (FTR, I had tried giving him a bottle and it just made him more miserable)

My other babies were happier and then I didn't get judged. Same mom, same milk, but different kid.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:46 pm
I am the OP of the formula feeding thread. I can’t say that anyone comments to me outright and judges me. But I do feel bad when people comment in front of me about how important breastfeeding is to them, and how they could never give formula. It’s not meant as judgement to me, and maybe it’s just an internal feeling of inferiority, but it hurts.

ETA I really don’t think I judge EBF mommies. I might raise my eyebrows at a 4 year old nursing, but otherwise I have only positive thoughts towards them.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:50 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
More like "fed is best" isn't what we're discussing when people debate these things. If people debate what's better to starve or feed a baby I think everyone agrees "fed is best " but most of the debates aren't that. Breast is best compared to formula. However , you gotta do what you gotta do...some people don't want to BF for whatever reason or can't physically ...there's a bunch of valid reasons but breast still remains best when compared to formula.

Comments like this do make me feel bad Sad

I did the best I could with my supply issues, without driving myself insane. My baby needed the formula. But these comments make me feel like my baby is missing out.

GLUE

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 7:31 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
I do feel judged though. I know formula is garbage, teh first ingredient is corn syrup. But it doesnt help when people say "fed isnt best, fed is bare minimum. breast is best" ive seen that rhetoric tons online

Right now I have about 7-8 different formula's in my house. two of them the first ingredient is corn
Similac total comfort-corn maltodextrin

Enfomil sensitive-corn syrup solids -This one says it's a milk based formula, but I can not find any milk products on the ingredient list.

I only have milk based formula's right now, on all of them I did not see any corn syrup. I do not currently have any Soy Formula's and I do think they put in corn syrup pretty hi up on the ingredient list. Maybe you have or have used Soy. Milk based Formula, at least the ones in my house I could not find corn syrup on the ingredient list.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 7:53 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
You obviously know nothing. What the h*ll?

Was I rude in my comment? Was there a need to be so rude back to me?
The first ingredient in the formula my baby was on was corn syrup solids. Its really not the greatest.
I hope I can nurse but if not ill see if I can afford a european brand or get donor breast milk

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

What formula are you looking at that the first ingredient is corn syrup? I’ve never seen that.

GLUE

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
The first ingredient in the formula my baby was on was corn syrup solids. Its really not the greatest.
I hope I can nurse but if not ill see if I can afford a european brand or get donor breast milk

Are you only into giving CY milk Formula?

If you are fine with any OU milk Formula,Similac Total Care and the regular Enfamil(yellow can)do not have any corn syrup solids.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:07 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

Your comment isn't exactly rude, it just gives the impression that those who give formula are feeding their babies junk.

GLUE

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:07 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
What formula are you looking at that the first ingredient is corn syrup? I’ve never seen that.

Probably Soy based

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:08 pm
cupcake123 wrote:

Breast is best when it’s best for mom and baby. When it’s not, then formula is best. There’s no need for a comparison, there’s no need for a “however.” If breast doesn’t work, for whatever reason, then formula is best. You can say it until you’re blue in the face, but breast is NOT best for every mom or every baby. That one line, those three short words, cause so so so many women to feel guilty when they don’t need to. I know women who have literally had starving babies because “breast is best” except that their babies weren’t getting anything. A fed, growing, thriving baby is best, and no mom should EVER have to feel guilty about how she achieves that.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:15 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
Your comment isn't exactly rude, it just gives the impression that those who give formula are feeding their babies junk.

Which is the impression that many bottle feeding moms are given…..

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:26 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Which is the impression that many bottle feeding moms are given…..

Exactly. After reading her comment, I went to check the formula I use for the ingredients just to make sure...

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 8:33 pm
Weird poll choices.

No option for people who BF or FF and who are not getting flak for their choice.

essie14

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:18 pm
I never felt judged. Maybe because I had my first child when I was 40 so I didn't give a hoot what anyone thought about anything.
I breastfed and supplemented with formula because that's what worked for me and my baby. I didn't do it to make anyone else happy, so I voted other.

NechaMom

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Weird poll choices.

No option for people who BF or FF and who are not getting flak for their choice.

To be honest, I mostly cared about the first two options to get my answer. It’s a spin off where an op was saying that BF moms are being judged more that FF moms so I wanted to see how true it is. If someone doesn’t get judged at all then they don’t have to vote or can vote other. (I did try to add that option later but I can’t edit the poll once submitted. Side note, I wonder why by some threads you can and by some you can’t edit the poll once submitted)

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 5:33 am
NechaMom wrote:
Maybe you should have voted the one right before other... Smile

I almost did! Hmm... Maybe I should switch it.

GLUE

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 8:16 am
amother Buttercup wrote:

I just went to the store and sat there checking the Formula's

Soy and Neocate both have corn syrup as the first ingredient
Milk based even CY does not.

The advantage of the CY UK formula-do they still sell it in the US?-is that it does not have any Soy in it. I know this because the only time I will take down phone numbers and call people if I have their brand of Formula, if it's a special one that their kid needs and can't use anything else.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 3:29 pm
I formula fed all my babies and didnt feel judged. I tried my best and the I dont care what others think or do. I dont judge others area. it's simply a non-issue.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding