Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Whisky Chicken

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:44 am
I did make it with BONE IN chicken breasts that I removed the skin from. I think those do better roasted in the oven although the recipe does have boneless skinless cutlets so that is certainly an option. I think 40 minutes for boneless chicken breasts is too long though so I would adjust. Also one could just use chicken parts - again with skin and excess fat removed so not to greasy

Whisky Chicken

M    DAIRY-FREE    SHABBAT    RH    SUCCOT

Excerpt From: Denise Phillips - The Gourmet Jewish Cookbook

Jews love whisky, it is always served as a ‘l’chaim’ at family celebrations and at Kiddush on Shabbat in synagogues worldwide.

This recipe makes liberal use of whisky, mushrooms and apricots and I recommend varying the type of mushrooms dependent on the season. I have used ready-soaked dried apricots, which provide an excellent colour and do not fall apart in cooking. They also absorb all the flavours of the whisky and chicken juices, but fresh apricots, if in season, are even better.

This is an easy meal to make that captures the theme of the Highlands, so for any Scottish cooks who celebrate Burns’ Night this is perfect alternative to the ‘traditional’ Haggis with neeps and tatties as part of their celebration. I serve it with roasted swedes, parsnips and potatoes to honour the occasion.

There is even a ‘Jewish tartan’. It was designed in 2008 for the Chabad Rabbi Mendel Jacobs of Glasgow and features blue, white, silver, red and “and gold. These colours represent both Scotland and the colours of the Israeli flag with the central gold line symbolising the Biblical Tabernacle, the Ark and ceremonial vessels.

Chef’s Tip: As a variation, liquidise half of the sauce for a smoother consistency - ie. use a stick blender

Info
• Preparation Time: 15 minutes
• Cooking Time: 45 minutes
• Serves: 6

Ingredients

• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• 6 breasts of skinless, boneless chicken - I used bone in chicken breasts
• 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
• 450g/1 lb shiitake or brown cap mushrooms, washed and sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 250g/9 oz/1 cup dried apricots, ready soaked and roughly sliced, or fresh, de-stoned and sliced
• 300ml/½ pint/1¼ cups whisky
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 450g/1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
• 450g/1 lb swede, peeled and cut into large pieces - these are rutabagas in the USA. They are sweeter than turnips which theoretically could sub
• 450g/1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into large pieces
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• 2 tbsp chopped parsley
• olive oil, for drizzling
• Garnish: sprigs of fresh parsley

Method

• Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4.

• Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Brown the chicken pieces or breasts on both sides, remove and place in a large ovenproof dish with a lid.

• Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic for 3 minutes in the original pan. I added the whiskey to the pan to deglaze before adding to the chicken in the roasting pan. I also added the apricots to this mixture before pouring over the chicken

• Add this to the ovenproof dish together with the apricots and whisky. - see my modification as I had deglazed the pan with the whiskey and then added apricots before pouring everything over the chicken

• Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for about 40 minutes.

• Meanwhile, cook the potatoes, swedes and parsnips for 5 minutes in boiling water.

• Drain and dust the vegetables with some seasoned flour and chopped parsley, drizzle with some olive oil and more salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

To serve the stylish way: Place a selection of the cooked vegetables on each warm serving plate. Sit a cooked chicken piece on top and pour over the apricot and mushroom sauce and garnish with a sprig of parsley. Complete the dish with a dusting of freshly ground black pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey