Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Up to what age to you give formula?

synthy

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:29 pm
I was nursing my baby almost exclusively until 11 months, which is when I lost my milk. I was planning on nursing for a while longer, so I gave formula bottles instead. She is now 13 months old and I'm giving formula bottles before putting her to bed for a nap or sleep and when she wakes up, so 3-4 times a day. The rest of the time I give her milk bottles.

Until what age is it recommended to give formula? It has more nutrition than milk and keeps her full for longer, but it's so expensive!

hodeez

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:32 pm
I stop by 1 years old

Java

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:33 pm
It's fine to give milk instead of formula at around a year. As long as you're giving her enough real food also
We phased it out slowly, replaced one bottle at a time
For what it's worth, I'm not sure we saved so much money- its like 1 bottle of whole milk a day vs a can of formula a week

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:35 pm
I determine based on weight. An average baby I would stop at a year, assuming they're also eating 3 meals a day. Smaller babies, I continued for longer.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:36 pm
There are foods that also have more nutrition and keep children full longer than milk. My child weaned at 13 months and I didn't give any milks.

If you want to give milk, it's a good time to switch to an open cup or a straw cup. Why put cows milk in bottles in the first place? The cups I mentioned are better for oral development and can be learned pretty quickly.

synthy

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:40 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
There are foods that also have more nutrition and keep children full longer than milk. My child weaned at 13 months and I didn't give any milks.

If you want to give milk, it's a good time to switch to an open cup or a straw cup. Why put cows milk in bottles in the first place? The cups I mentioned are better for oral development and can be learned pretty quickly.
She has a straw cup but doesn't like it for some reason. I give bottles to help her fall asleep because I used to nurse her to fall asleep. I know its not good for the teeth but I don't want to let her cry it out...

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:49 pm
My healthy good eater- we started weaning at 12 months, was done within 2 weeks.
My current baby is allergic to dairy and most other food, so she's still on formula well past her first birthday.

SG18

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:54 am
My daughter weaned at a year, I didn't give formula. Instead of giving bottles, DH took over bedtime. No cry it out, just alternate forms of soothing.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:31 am
Look into the munchkin 360 cup. Way better for their teeth, doesnt spill, and teaches them to hold the cup (some have handles).
My kids used them as soon as they stopped nursing. They are amazing- just make sure to remove and clean the silicon piece on top daily/after use even just with water or it gets grimy.

I never did formula after a year. Went straight to milk but my kids were fine weight/height wise.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:40 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
Look into the munchkin 360 cup. Way better for their teeth, doesnt spill, and teaches them to hold the cup (some have handles).
My kids used them as soon as they stopped nursing. They are amazing- just make sure to remove and clean the silicon piece on top daily/after use even just with water or it gets grimy.

I never did formula after a year. Went straight to milk but my kids were fine weight/height wise.

I like those cups too but just to note, they actually aren't recommended anymore because they encourage problematic drinking patterns in some kids.

And another cleaning note, the cup has four parts. Make sure to remove and clean the rubber gasket too.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 11:33 pm
synthy wrote:
I was nursing my baby almost exclusively until 11 months, which is when I lost my milk. I was planning on nursing for a while longer, so I gave formula bottles instead. She is now 13 months old and I'm giving formula bottles before putting her to bed for a nap or sleep and when she wakes up, so 3-4 times a day. The rest of the time I give her milk bottles.

Until what age is it recommended to give formula? It has more nutrition than milk and keeps her full for longer, but it's so expensive!

My dr. Said it’s fine to give whole milk from 12 months.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 12:03 am
My baby turned 1 two weeks after pesach.

I asked my pediatrician if I could go off of formula after 11.5 months, so I wouldn't have to deal with kitniyos bottles in the bathroom sinks over pesach, and she had no problem with it.

If her bday would have been before pesach, I would have stopped right at 12 months, as with my other kids.

OMG!

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 12:08 am
My baby just turned one year and he eats everything. I only give him formula when he didn’t have a normal breakfast. Or I feel he’s hungry after supper. Otherwise I put in a drop of apple juice and water. I wouldn’t give dairy. He becomes congested very quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding