Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Att: All those living in the UK

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 11:59 am
Moving to the UK soon and need some help. While I am shipping stuff anyway, I would like to ship non-perishables that are really expensive/can't get in the UK. For example, I know that plastic goods, ziplocs, 9x13's, etc are costly, so I am going to buy cases to ship.

I also want to know what ingredients (again, non-perishables) are used in a lot of the KBD and Kosher Pallette Cookbooks that can not be found in England. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mummy-bh

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:01 pm
What sorts of things do you use a lot of?
I don't use either of those cookbooks I need a bit of guidance!

Raisin

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:27 pm
check out http://www.justkosher.co.uk/ kosher website that has a lot of food. I haven't used it myself, but my sister does and she says they have good prices.

you will get an idea of how much food items cost, and what is available. Also tesco.co.uk - regular supermarket, in some areas it has kosher food as well - and you can see prices of things like ziplock bags. Also many regular food items are either on a kosher list or have a hechsher. (you may need to register for tesco, to see prices.)

www.kosher.org.uk - london beth din website, has a search engine to see if something is kosher.

I have both those cookbooks - I don't have a problem using them. Short of time is a bit odf a waste.

also, depends where you are - shops in London have a much bigger variety then shops in manchester, or smaller communities.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:00 pm
Re: ziplocks.

I don't get those in Tesco. I buy all my disposables from a heimishe fellow in my neighbourhood. The prices are not as cheap as the US, and if you're anyway making a container it's probably worthwhile to bring disposables.

Where you will live does effect what you can buy; eg I get my mother in London to buy certain things which I don't see in our local shops.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:06 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Re: ziplocks.

I don't get those in Tesco. I buy all my disposables from a heimishe fellow in my neighbourhood. The prices are not as cheap as the US, and if you're anyway making a container it's probably worthwhile to bring disposables.

Where you will live does effect what you can buy; eg I get my mother in London to buy certain things which I don't see in our local shops.

I will be frequenting your neighborhood to go shopping. London will be a lot further, but I'm sure we'll be making trips there too.

I appreciate yours and Raisin's help. Mummy, I can't think of any ingredients I use often. I guess it's because coming from NY, I don't even think twice. I know I can get just about everything.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 2:33 pm
some foods are more easily available in the uk. Good fresh nice bread (I HATE HATE american bread, its never fresh, and plastic tasting), unusual types of cheese, fresh cream.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 2:35 pm
you can't put these in your container, but gefilta fish is much cheaper in the us. if you bring a case it stays frozen. meat may also be cheaper, but there may be rules about bringing in meat.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 5:49 pm
there's rules about bringing fish too. I think its something like 1 kg a person - about a roll and a half of fish per person.

I live out of london, but close enough to go in pretty often, and you can get pretty much everything in the kosher shops there, except I have never noticed things like canned pumpkin, canned sweet potato etc which KBD short on time uses.

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 5:58 pm
Raisin wrote:
meat may also be cheaper, but there may be rules about bringing in meat.

There are also halachos about this. Anyone else old enough for my distant childhood memories when Empire chickens were imported and the London BD forbade them because of basar chutz? Ask your LOR. Or maybe your future LOR.

Raisin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 6:07 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Raisin wrote:

There are also halachos about this. Anyone else old enough for my distant childhood memories when Empire chickens were imported and the London BD forbade them because of basar chutz? Ask your LOR. Or maybe your future LOR.

There is plenty of meat sold in the UK that is imported from France or Israel, yaarden products for example. Would that fall under Basar chutz?

Or what if you only go by a certain shechita that is not available in the country you live in?

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 6:15 pm
Raisin wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Raisin wrote:

There is plenty of meat sold in the UK that is imported from France or Israel, yaarden products for example. Would that fall under Basar chutz?

Or what if you only go by a certain shechita that is not available in the country you live in?

I really have no idea. If I remember correctly the original halacha for basar chutz was anything not shechted in your own town, which I don't think anyone holds by today. I just remember the whole story with Empire chickens, that must have been when I was quite young. Which is why I said the OP should check with a rav.

Raisin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 6:23 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Raisin wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I really have no idea. If I remember correctly the original halacha for basar chutz was anything not shechted in your own town, which I don't think anyone holds by today. I just remember the whole story with Empire chickens, that must have been when I was quite young. Which is why I said the OP should check with a rav.

Well, nowadays the LBD has at least one meat plant under their hashgacha operating in another country altogether. I doubt any meat is shechted in london itself.

This is actually a halacha I never heard of before.

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 7:40 pm
Things I miss are ziploc bags and some cereals. also some beauty products, but I've been able to find replacements for those. I bring stuff back when visiting the States. I haven't noticed the lacked of canned pumpkin, etc. However lots of things I like are available in just in one store and I just have to stock up whenever I am in that area.

A tip - go to the Jewish stores only to buy specific kosher items. The rest get at Tesco or somewhere similar where you can often buy stuff on sale, in bulk for cheaper prices, and store brands for cheaper prices. Things like orange juice are kosher anywhere.

Raisin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 7:56 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:
Things I miss are ziploc bags and some cereals. also some beauty products, but I've been able to find replacements for those. .

I'm laughing at this, because when I lived in the us, I missed english beauty products, and english cereals! (and marmite, of course!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating