Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Low fat or fat-free challah recipe

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 12:57 pm
Does such a recipe exist? If anyone has any to share, please feel free to do so!

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:10 pm
You can bake challah without any oil.
You can use artificial sweetener.
I don’t know how you can bake challah without some sort of flour but that’s really the part of the challah recipe that makes people gain weight.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:16 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
You can bake challah without any oil.
You can use artificial sweetener.
I don’t know how you can bake challah without some sort of flour but that’s really the part of the challah recipe that makes people gain weight.

Have you tried to do it without oil?

juggling

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:21 pm
Follow a white bread recipe. Or whole wheat, if you prefer. It won't have the richness that's associated with challah, but that comes from the fat. White bread has no fat.

Someone above mentioned artificial sweetener. Besides the fact that sweetener has no fat, so I'm not sure that helps you, anyway, the yeast needs sugar to help it grow. I don't think you can skip the sugar. Maybe reduce it.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:37 pm
Sourdough

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
Sourdough

I would love to but don't have the time.
Looking for it easy and uncomplicated recipe.

Della

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:43 pm
I have a recipe for ciabatta bread without any sugar and oil. It makes rolls if you want it

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:43 pm
Della wrote:
I have a recipe for ciabatta bread without any sugar and oil. It makes rolls if you want it

What is ciabatta bread?

Geulanow

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:55 pm
Della wrote:

Can you please post?

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 2:01 pm
Della wrote:

Is it very bland?

challahchallah

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 2:10 pm
juggling wrote:
Follow a white bread recipe. Or whole wheat, if you prefer. It won't have the richness that's associated with challah, but that comes from the fat. White bread has no fat.

Someone above mentioned artificial sweetener. Besides the fact that sweetener has no fat, so I'm not sure that helps you, anyway, the yeast needs sugar to help it grow. I don't think you can skip the sugar. Maybe reduce it.

A traditional American white sandwich bread does have fat in it, and also usually dairy, so I don’t think it’s a great choice here. The King Arthur recipe is pretty typical of what white breads usually have:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....ecipe

You don’t need any sugar for the yeast, it will do just fine without. You could do an unenriched dough with just flour, water, salt, & yeast, but this will give you a hard crusted artisan loaf not much like challah (though delicious!). A traditional ciabatta falls into this category, though it requires the extra step of making a biga (like a starter) the night before, and be very very gentle with the dough. It’s exquisite but not quick and easy. I recently tried a ton of different ciabatta recipes and this is the one I found that yielded the best results, most like what the Italian original:
https://www.girlversusdough.co.....read/

For the softness of challah, you’ll need to use some form of enriched dough. Are you ok to still have some egg in there as long as there is no oil?

Della

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 2:16 pm
Ciabatta bread:

Mix together: 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, half teaspoon dry yeast, one and a half cups of warm water. You may need to add more flour in order to get a good dough. It will be sticky.

Do this in the evening, cover, it let it rise overnight. It doesn’t rise as much as a regular challah.

In the morning punch it down making into 7 rolls. You may need to sprinkle a little flour on a surface because the dough is sticky. Bake for 18 minutes at 450°. It isDelicious!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 8:39 pm
Della wrote:
Ciabatta bread:

Mix together: 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, half teaspoon dry yeast, one and a half cups of warm water. You may need to add more flour in order to get a good dough. It will be sticky.

Do this in the evening, cover, it let it rise overnight. It doesn’t rise as much as a regular challah.

In the morning punch it down making into 7 rolls. You may need to sprinkle a little flour on a surface because the dough is sticky. Bake for 18 minutes at 450°. It isDelicious!!

Hmm what would happen if I form it into a challah loaf?
And is there any topping like an egg wash for it?

Does it also have a sourdough taste?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics