Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Looking to homeschool 4 year old

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:07 pm
Does anyone know how I can find the curriculum they teach in schools for 4 year olds? Thinking about keeping my child home next year. Located in BP. TIa!

Oldest

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:09 pm
Torah Umesorah might have some resources

happytobemom

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 1:13 am
Oldest wrote:
Torah Umesorah might have some resources

chinuch.org

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 9:57 pm
You really don’t need much for 4 yo. I would focus on pre-reading skills in Hebrew and English (or actual reading, if your child is ready). For Kodesh, you can do a lot of Parsha and Yomim Tovim. Invest in a nice set of children’s Parsha books. And then basic math skills. And nature-based “science”. Get in lots of active outside time and meet up with other kids for social experiences.
Honestly, at this age, they learn through play. I wouldn’t even consider this age “homeschooling”. Do you plan on continuing to homeschool long term or planning to send to school at 5?
Hatzlacha!

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 10:30 pm
Google Jewish homeschool blogspot. At this age it's just Aleph beit, chagim, a little bit about shabbat and brachot

dena613

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 10:39 pm
Davening
Alef beis,
parsha, yomim tovim, brachos
seasons, senses, etc
Days of the week, months of the year, counting on a calendar to thirty...

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:08 pm
I have my 4 yo home this year. The only thing I actually invest in is teaching is aleph bais. I was planning on doing parsha also but that only lasted a few weeks. Everything else is organically learnt, and he'll learn more next year in yeshiva.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:25 pm
My 4 year old learn tons in addition to parsha, yom tov, midos, brachos mitzvos, bikur cholim, baal tashchis, etc. He davens daily, learns brachos, bentching, playing of course, makes siyums too. He learns shapes and colors, and senses and he sings ani mamin and yibane hamikdash following bentching. He participates in birthday parties and learns to trace and color in the lines. He learned to cut simple and complex shapes. He learns songs about pretty much everything! He learns about seasons etc. He plays outside etc of course Alef bais and sounds and words for each one and constant review.
Good luck. Some 4 year old classes don't learn much. I've been around.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
My 4 year old learn tons in addition to parsha, yom tov, midos, brachos mitzvos, bikur cholim, baal tashchis, etc. He davens daily, learns brachos, bentching, playing of course, makes siyums too. He learns shapes and colors, and senses and he sings ani mamin and yibane hamikdash following bentching. He participates in birthday parties and learns to trace and color in the lines. He learned to cut simple and complex shapes. He learns songs about pretty much everything! He learns about seasons etc. He plays outside etc of course Alef bais and sounds and words for each one and constant review.
Good luck. Some 4 year old classes don't learn much. I've been around.

Alot of these things dont need to be "taught". Children in a print rich, playful environment with an engaged parent can pick alot of this up on their own. A few music CDs playing in the background can teach songs. They are naturally inquisitive and want to learn and explore.

#BestBubby

Read...Read...Read

There are some good preschool workbooks you can get at wallmart.

amother
Strawberry

I don't think a 4 year old needs much by way of formal learning. They should however be learning Yiddishkeit by hands-on-experience and working on useful life skills. Some things to try to incorporate:

- How to clean up after yourself
- Responsibility (assign a simple chore, like "check the trash cans and let Mommy know which ones are full")
- Basic manners (greet people, please, thank you, sorry)
- Following directions (games like Simon Says are good for this)
- Saying brachos before and after eating
- Tracing
- Sorting
- Counting
- Doing specific things Lekavod Shabbos
- Davening every morning (brief is fine too)
- Giving Tzedakah every morning
- Talk about upcoming Yomim Tovim and help get ready for them
- Washing hands properly with soap
- Washing Negel Vasser properly (practice both of these in the bathtub!)
- Toilet training if not done yet
- Playdate and park etiquette
- Call Bubby and Zaidy weekly
- Send get well cards to people you know are sick
- Make challah
- Personal safety
- Saying no politely
- Sharing

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 6:23 am
I homeschooled DD. In addition to all the above, the one thing I would add is regular play dates, and trips to the park.

DD did not get enough social interaction when she was younger, and kindergarten was hard for her. The morahs commented that she was socially behind the other kids. I was in a small community, and there were hardly any girls born that year, just tons of boys.

To make matters worse, pertussis was rampant in our area, and because DD was allergic to the vaccine, we were told to keep her out of large groups and places like Gymboree or Mommy and Me until she was at least 5.

It took DD quite a while to get caught up to her peers, even though she had all the academics in place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling