Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Present to israel

avimom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 1:39 pm
I have a cousin having a bar mitzva in israel. is there any way I can send him a cheap gift (such as a $18 online gift card or something like that??)...

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 1:49 pm
For someone to order something online, we often end up paying a huge shipping fee and tax/custom on it.

avimom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 1:57 pm
hmmm, so any other suggestions?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 2:14 pm
Why not send the money in cash? Unfortunately $18 won't buy a heck of a lot, but if he adds all his presents together, he may be able to get something he wants.
Cash because the cost of exchanging a check for shekels will take a healthy chunk out of that amount.

avimom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 9:08 pm
doesn't that look cheap??

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 9:30 pm
well.. if yo don't want to be remembered as cheap;,. you don't have to send anything at all. I'd send a present that looks likemore, if you know what I mean

avimom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:10 pm
that's why I'd rather send a gift. any ideas how?

hila

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 1:35 am
You could order something small from an Israel bookstore. ( Like Pomerantz _ dont know what his shipping charges are inside Israel) . It is free to Efrat though - maybe Jerusalem too.

http://www.pomeranzbooks.com/m.....t.asp

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 4:20 am
avimom wrote:
doesn't that look cheap??

You know something? I think it's very nice that you are intending to send a present to a bar mitzva where you won't be at the party. Cheap? Why - do you owe the boy anything? I think that you send what you want/can afford and you don't have to worry about the rest. It's not a generous gift, but for that, and if you wish to make a lasting impression, you need to send at least $50 - $100, if you care to.
Where I lived in the States, $75 was considered cheap for a bar mitzva. Other places $36 may be considered cheap. Since there is no set "cheap", I would suggest you go with what makes you comfortable.
If you convert $ to shekels, those $18 are still not going to make a whole heck of a lot, around 60 nis. That is a bit more than I spend when one of my kids goes to a friend's bar mitzva. You can't buy any serious sforim with that, the minimum is probably around 75 nis for a good book. In the 50 nis range I once got a book about the brachot for each type of food, along with pictures. But, again, this was from one kid to another.

avimom

Post Fri, Apr 25 2008, 3:39 pm
thanks, I think I'll try to find a relative going that I can send something with...

rachel19977

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 12:47 pm
Why not use a Isreali website to send him a gift online, like a gift basket? I can provide you with a link if you want. PM me.

freidasima

Post Sun, Apr 27 2008, 3:51 pm
Another thing, even for a Bar Mitzva, is to give a donation in his zechus and send him the receipt for it. There are lots of things like that to do, and if you aren't going to be there, it's a nice gesture and a mitzva to boot!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions