Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Do those who put their child on Ritalin regret it or not?

YES  
 33%  [ 2 ]
NO  
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 8:01 am
Give pros and cons.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:22 am
I was put on ritalin in 7th or 8th grade, I dont remember which, but it had a VERY negative effect and my parents very much regreted putting my on ritalin. it made me loose my laghter right after I took it every day as well as have lasting sleeping effects on me as well. after I went off it we realized that it was not the correct thing that I needed in life. it was a mistake.

I do not like ritalin as an answer for a child that can not concentrate. it has very bad and detremental effects on children and some lasting effects into adulthood.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:33 am
My brother was put on ritalin and it was the best thing my parents did for him.

Your question is very broad. Whether or not Ritalin is appropriate depends on what the child's problem is!

My brother was ADHD with a capital H for hyperactive. He was a monster. Teachers hated him. He couldn't make friends because he was the kid who would come over and knock down someone else's building blocks. He was always getting in trouble in school and at home. It was not a healthy way for him to be growing up. Once put on Ritalin, he was a well-adjusted child who had friends and did fairly well in school. Because of the ritalin, he was allowed to grow up as a popular kid and not an outcast (which could have terrible long term effects on a child).

His ADHD got much less severe as he got older, and at some point during his teenage years he went totally off of it. Now he can sometimes be a bit irresnposible, but nothing too terrible and certainly not enough to need being on Ritalin.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:33 am
I had my child on ritalin for some time, less than five months. I don't remember why I stopped it. Can't remember, t'was that many years ago....the one thing I do remember is that he was a lot calmer on it.
I think if I had had better coping skills, better parenting skills I might've been able to do without the ritalin...I did go for weekly psychotherapy/parenting sessions and have learned ways to help my child. Still, I think there is a continuum and certain situations are such that ritalin can help a mother have her sanity back....An excellent book I highly recommend is, ''Should I Medicate My Child'' by someone by the name Diller.

Amother because I do need to do a shiduch with this child....soon.... Wink

babula

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:08 am
Some kids do need meds IF YOUR CHILD NEEDED INSULIN WOULD YOU REFUSE TO GIVE IT TO HIM? For some children ritalin is as necessary as insulin is for diabetics.

I have a son who was diagnosed with severe ADHD. He could never have functioned all without his medication and even with meds his behaviour was challenging. There are alternatives to Ritalin. When Strattera was finally released my sons doctor switched to it right away. I can't believe the difference it has made in all our lives. My son says he would never want to go back to when he didn't have his medications.

Meds arent the cure but they help the child learn to control their own behaviour.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:15 am
I posted this in miriamnechama's thread as well

I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult and after a long internal struggle, I went on meds. The difference I felt was so positive and immediate, I cried for hours for my lost opportunities as a child.

I was always a daydreamer, I never caused the teachers any problems so they left me alone. I always forgot my lunch at home so I was always hungry. I couldn't share nosh with my classmates which was a big deal for popularity growing up. I was so spaced, the bell would ring for recess and I would go to the lunchroom, sometimes I didn't even notice no-one else was following me till I got to the lunchroom doors. I got used to being called spacer and weirdo.

I managed to get decent grades because I am intelligent. I had the potential to do great, but I scraped by with Bs. I would forget to bring my homework home, and it I remembered to bring it home, I would forget to put it in my backpack, forget to bring my backpack to school, forget that this time I actually did have it in my backpack and not even bother to take it out to turn in. I felt like a failure my entire childhood. I tried so hard. I was constantly being told I was not living up to my potential. But I tried so hard. I did charts and incentives daily notes from the teachers, lectures to try harder from teachers parents and principal. I started feeling depressed. Why was it so hard for me and not anyone else? Why was everyone let down by me, why did they not believe me when I told them that I was trying?

The depression stayed with me into early adulthood. It affected my education/job choices as well as my shidduch choice. It was only when I went to therapy to try and be a better mother, that my therapist suggested being evaluated for ADD.

True, the medication does numb a part of my personality that I miss. But I can finally feel normal. How I wish, oh how I wish I was given the chance as a child to feel like this.

babula

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:25 am
To the mother that just posted...thank you for your courage to share your story. If my son were to write I'm sure he would share your sentiments too.

I also struggled as a youngster and to this day I regret my limitations as a child and even as an adult.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries