Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
The best suggestion ever! Post-9 days laundry.

chavamom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 11:43 pm
So I remember YEARS ago, when I only had 1 child, a rebbetzin told me that she had learned a great thing from her mother as a child. The 10th of Av, after chatzos, the kids sorted all the laundry into laundry bags, hopped on the bus and went to the laundromat. That way they did all the loads at once, the kids were kept busy watching the laundry tumbling, and it was all washed, folded and put away back at their house within a few hours rather than taking a day and 1/2 to get the laundry done.

Do this year, I did it. So we didn't hop on a bus, but we hauled out the laundry bags from camp, sorted the laundry and threw the bags in the back of the van. I made an amazing discovery while at the laundromat. They have machines that can hold 80 LBS of laundry shock . That was the size machine it took to do all my colored laundry, a smaller one for lights and one for whites. AND they have these industrial size dryers (free with a wash!) that dry all of that in 30 minutes. In a little over an hour, I had all my laundry mountain done, the kids that went with me thought it was fun getting to 'watch' the clothes get clean, and we folded it right there and brought it home in baskets that were sorted by room. What a mechayah! I have to remember to do this again next year.

miriam

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 12:38 am
It is a great idea. But in the long run, those machines don't do as good of a job of cleaning the clothes. But I am happy for you that you finished all your laundry.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 1:11 am
miriam wrote:
It is a great idea. But in the long run, those machines don't do as good of a job of cleaning the clothes. But I am happy for you that you finished all your laundry.

Actually, I was just commenting to my husband that they got the clothes cleaner than our Maytag. These were commercial machines like used in a laundry, not the 'pop in 4 quarters' type machines like found in hotels and dorms.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 4:36 am
My sister claims that her happiest laundry days were when her machine broke. She did laundry only twice a week instead of every day and got to be alone for an hour or so in the laundromat.

If you read one of the other threads, btw, you'll see that lucky has been doing this for a while already. Good ideas get around!

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 9:41 am
Did it this year again!! Had an interesting story there.
I went at 12:40. (wanting to start washing after chatzos) There were 3 frum ladies there, they had filled almost all machines with their laundry but did not want to start washing till 1:00.
The owner was VERY angry because there were non jewish customers waiting to use the machines.At 2 minutes before 1:00, they were still arguing with the owner (they thought they were right)
It bothers me that I did not tell them that chilul hashem is anytime as serious as washing laundry before chatzos.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 9:48 am
That is terrible! For how long were the machines filled and not running? A few minutes? Hours?
They should have given the owner money for the time they occupied the machines - he lost income.

proudmom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:19 am
Lucky, that was horrible thing what those ladies did,

Mommy912 I agree that they should have given the owner money for making him lose money.

queenie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:37 am
That is really a chilul hashem.

Chavamom, you must have had a good laudromat with good new machines. When I first got married and went to the laundromat the machines were lousy!

Also when I first got married I saw my sil doing laundry ON Tisha B'av. She even argued with me that you can do laundry after chatzos.

I said, first off it's only 12:30, and she said yeah - chatzos. Ok, that's a whole other discussion...

Not only do I not do laundry, we don't listen to music until chatzos on the 10th. Do others do that too?

miriam

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 10:51 am
We had a music and bath party at 1:30pm (not at the same exact time but you get the picture). Chatzos was 1:24. I also had my machine filled and ready to run at Chatzos!! We really rejoiced over the 9 days being OVER.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 11:19 am
queenie wrote:
Not only do I not do laundry, we don't listen to music until chatzos on the 10th. Do others do that too?

And eat meat, etc.
We had hotdogs (at my kids request) the evening of the tenth (not motzei tisha b'av!).

As for the ladies with the machines filled - oy. People never cease to shock me.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 11:27 am
queenie wrote:
Chavamom, you must have had a good laudromat with good new machines. When I first got married and went to the laundromat the machines were lousy!

It's a brand new place near a university. Not only do they have good quality machines of all sizes, there are rows and rows of them. It would have taken quite a few frum women (even with Boro Park size families) to have filled up all the machines. Maybe the neshei could work out to have a fund raiser there next year, lol.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 8:31 pm
queenie wrote:

Sure!! But this year I did wash laundry 10 minutes before chatzos. Sad Sad

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 8:36 pm
Oh well we have a pick up and drop off laundry service here and once in a blue moon I take advantage embarrassed they even fold u'r laundry 8) for a price though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry