Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Ideas for conversation starters

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 2:46 am
I am not sure exactly how but we ahve become a regular host family for seminary girls here for the year. They seem to be sharing our phone # amongst themselves and I really try not turn the girls away. I don't think our house is so special, but I guess they really need a place to go.

My problem is that although I am a pretty good conversation continuer I am not a super conversation starter. Other than asking about their seminary and where they are from and how they are dealing with the adjustment I am not sure how to break the ice with the quieter girls. I underastand that not everyone needs to talk and some are really shy but I also really want our guests to feel welcome.

Apple pie

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 5:35 am
You can ask them maybe to share things they have learned this week in sem, places they have visited in Israel and if they liked it, tell (u or dh) jewish stories or jokes.
You can maybe open potentially "hot" topics such as aliya (would they - why not?) , dating (I don't know what type of girls, so not sure if appropriate) etc...
Good luck ,and Kol Hakavod for hosting these girls. Salut

gigi

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:27 am
any questions that require an opinion as an answer.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:34 am
that's very nice of you !

grin

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 12:51 pm
I ask about their family - how many siblings/what they're doing/if they're used to little kids ("are my kids making you nervous?")/ their plans for next year (if they're sem gilrs), etc
Once we're past that, the conversaiton usually continues by itself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics