Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What makes an enjoyable shabbat for a guest?
Previous  1  2

gigi

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:18 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

How is that possible? Isn't glutten just in flour products? Didn't they have meat and vegetables at their meal?

no
it's in wheat, oats, barley , and rye.

you'd be surprised how many products are made with flour

soy sauce, certain dressings, soup cubes, thickeners, breading, noodles in soup and salad, matzaballs, etc..

so if you have.. breaded fish, salad with soy sauce and noodles, soup with soup cubes and/or matzaballs, breaded shnitzel, or chicken with sauce that has gluten...
and baked goods for desert..
then no. I wouldn't be able to eat any of it.

it's ok, I'm always eager to lose a pound or two! LOL

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:27 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I'm not picky, but...

-be comfortable in your house, but at least warn me before running in your underwear
-don't tell me you have a kosher kitchen when you mean you separate treif meat and milk, I almost gagged
-don't let me deal with your wild kids when you know I'm an only child and grandchild, don't send me "give bread to the hens" when I need to cross a highway and there are 3 of them and I have only 2 hands
-don't sit me at the kid table "because I'm single", when in fact you want me to baby sit. If you yell or hit at someone at the kid table, please don't yell in my ears/hit me by mistake
-let me know you plan to drive me to shul for shabbes as a nice surprise, because I would rather not
-if we cooked together, and your children say what you cooked is "sh*t", don't say I cooked it
-don't say I'm crazy for not wearing pants, respect others' beliefs
-don't try to make me drive when you know I'm under 18 and I cant drive

not all the same person, b'h

Oh my gosh, Ruchel! You poor thing (I mean it's hysterical reading them, but I understand that it might not have been at the time!)

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:28 pm
gigi wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:

How is that possible? Isn't glutten just in flour products? Didn't they have meat and vegetables at their meal?

no

soy sauce, certain dressings, soup cubes, thickeners, breading, noodles in soup and salad, matzaballs, etc..

so if you have.. breaded fish, salad with soy sauce and noodles, soup with soup cubes and/or matzaballs, breaded shnitzel, or chicken with sauce that has gluten...

it's ok, I'm always eager to lose a pound or two! LOL

Wow, I had no idea. Must be tough to eat out. Sad

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:33 pm
gigi wrote:

no

I don't know how you can have this issue and not live near a major metropolitan area. My favorite market here has a wide array of gluten-free products (and substitutes when cooking for a diet with any sensitivities) but other parts of the country don't have these kinds of items readily available.

Are you sure "farm living is the life for you"?

(and do you recognize that song?)

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 6:41 pm
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea. Must be tough to eat out.

not if you let the hostess know in advance. I have a close friend who cannot have any gluten. the first time she was to eat by me, I asked her daughters to provide me with a COMPLETE list of 'no's. I don't mean every product with gluten in it, just to add barley, etc. to the list because I didn't know.

They gave it to me, then I proceeded to make a large (and pretty common) variety of salads, fish, and a small separate cholent just for her. I had a regular cholent for everyone else. It was very easy and she was so pleased and surprised!

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 7:07 pm
I once stayed somewhere where there was no mirror in the guest bathroom or guestroom. it doesn't sound like a big deal, but how can you properly wash up in the morning?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 7:47 pm
wow ... so much info here ... gigi you don't speak eng A Lish ... how will I ever cook for you with such restrictions ... (but for you I would certainly try)

"darlin' I love you but give me park avenue" NOT - MOO!!!

honestly a clean bed & some food is nice ... good coffee in the am

I'm with you on the smelly hand towels shock

but as my guest I do not expect nor want you to lift a finger - nor bring food to pitch in or I wouldn't ask you to be my guest ... and as a guest by you I would like to be a guest and not feel obligated to lift a finger either ... except of course to lift my cup - l'chaim Drunken Smile (unless I want to and sometimes I do) and don't stay in the kitchen like a martyr who cannot eat but slave (which would definately make me lonely and want to help) - and if I bring some wine or cake over do not leave it on the counter in the kitchen and not serve it ...

gigi

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 9:22 pm
aww thanks Green. Very Happy

and Clarrisa- am I sure farm life is for me?
VERY SURE!!! I need a horse.! LOL

it's not hard to find what to eat.
we just don't eat lots of prepared stuff (like cereal, cake.etc)

I just avoid all that stuff.
there is a lot left..
fruits.. vegatables.. eggs, meat , fish, cheese,..
and of course chocolote!! Very Happy

willow

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 6:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'm not picky, but...

-be comfortable in your house, but at least warn me before running in your underwear
-don't tell me you have a kosher kitchen when you mean you separate treif meat and milk, I almost gagged
-don't let me deal with your wild kids when you know I'm an only child and grandchild, don't send me "give bread to the hens" when I need to cross a highway and there are 3 of them and I have only 2 hands
-don't sit me at the kid table "because I'm single", when in fact you want me to baby sit. If you yell or hit at someone at the kid table, please don't yell in my ears/hit me by mistake
-let me know you plan to drive me to shul for shabbes as a nice surprise, because I would rather not
-if we cooked together, and your children say what you cooked is "sh*t", don't say I cooked it
-don't say I'm crazy for not wearing pants, respect others' beliefs
-don't try to make me drive when you know I'm under 18 and I cant drive

not all the same person, b'h

LOL!!!!!! Some of these are funny. Sorry you had to go through it. Smile

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 9:02 am
I have more... after shabbes in the less frum family, shabbes in the frummer family... will come later! Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics