Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Brooklyn Chanukah House.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 2:08 pm
It's back and there are new items on display. For those who joined after Chanukah last year, there is a house in Brooklyn that is all decorated for Chanukah. Many here did not like it, some of us did. It is in the Mill Basin area. The address is 6222 Avenue T between Mill Avenue and East 63rd Street. If you get a chance to see it post your opinion. I obviouslt love it, I would like to hear what you think. I am not reviving the old thread because I don't want this to get lost in that thread, I want to keep it new. They have a website but it is not updated with the new photos yet, maybe in a few days. www.freewebs.com/brooklynchanukahhouse sign their guest book.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 2:20 pm
Exactly the meaning of ובחקתיהם לא תלכו. And they even admit that they're doing it to copy the non jews! Rolling Eyes

nicole81

Post Sat, Nov 24 2007, 10:36 pm
I saw another chanukah house in the e. 50s right off of U, but it wasn't as elaborate.

redhot

Post Sat, Nov 24 2007, 10:39 pm
The baltimore chanuka house is incredible!!! this one is nicely decorated but if u really want to see something special, go to baltimore. its amazingly beautiful..

momluv

Post Sat, Nov 24 2007, 11:00 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Exactly the meaning of ובחקתיהם לא תלכו. And they even admit that they're doing it to copy the non jews! Rolling Eyes

I agree. we're jewish and there needs to remain a visible line between us and the non jews.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 7:57 am
sthillmom wrote:
The baltimore chanuka house is incredible!!! this one is nicely decorated but if u really want to see something special, go to baltimore. its amazingly beautiful..

I agree the one in Baltimore is incredible. The propety is also about ten times as large with much more room to be creative. Considering, I think that the one in Brooklyn is great too.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:06 am
yentagolda wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

I agree. we're jewish and there needs to remain a visible line between us and the non jews.

While I guess I see your logic, please explain to me the large public Menorahs that are placed in many parks and such. I realize that it is persumei nisa, but isn't that like copying the large x-mas trees that are placed everywhere. In the olden days I don't think that they did this. People just lit in their doorways or windows.

By the way not looking to argue, just to understand from your point of view why these types of displays are different.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 11:12 am

www.freewebs.com/brooklynchanukahhouse

I think they did a great job this year. Kol Hakavod!

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 8:12 am
Here is a story from the current issue of the Jewish Week.
http://www.thejewishweek.com/v......html

Also last night the family had a candle lighting in front of their house with the local Talmut Torah. These are public school kids who go to an after school program in a local shul. The Talmud Torah is probably their only connection with and only education in anything Jewish. The kids were amazed with what they saw. They sang the brachos and Maoz Tzur and were given little peckalach and sufganiot. There must have been almost one hundred people there. It was truly a kiddush hashem.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:40 am
well I LOVE IT!!! ... and find it incredible ...

people who wanna find fault ... will find so in everything ...

those kids must have been thrilled ...

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:41 am
You should have seen the parents!

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:43 am
brooklyn wrote:
You should have seen the parents!

I can imagine ... the emotional connection with chanuka ...

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 10:40 am
Hey even though Chanukah is not really a major Yom Tov, to some it is their main identification with Judaism. They were so excited and amazed. Taking pictures of their kids in front of the house. It was nice that they connected at least in some way with their Jewish identity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics