Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
SNAPE (spoiler alert)

Is Snape evil?
Totally evil, working for Voldermort, Death eater-through and through  
 28%  [ 9 ]
He can't decide what side he is in, he is torn  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Waiting to see which side comes out on top  
 6%  [ 2 ]
He is a total jerk, but he still working for the right side  
 65%  [ 21 ]
He is a wonderful person and the best actor/occulums ever!  
 0%  [ 0 ]
He is actually good, but has been working under the imperious curse for untold years  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 6:17 pm
On a different board we were discussing Harry Potter and one of my friends there said "Why is it that most of the Jewish people I know (online, don't really know any irl) love Snape. On the Lexicon all the big Snape fans are Jewish, and I just don't get it... I really don't."

So it made me start to wonder, for those who have read the books, what do you think about Snape?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 3:04 am
Okay Ima2N here are some possible answers to the Snape=good to yidden question.

1. We grew up with the stories like Yossele the holy miser and can understand how someone can look evil but really be good.

2. We have emunas chochomim and, LEHAVDIL ELEF HAVDALAS, we think if Dumbledore trusts him he is trust worthy.

3. With all of our training in anylitical thought we realize that for Snape really to be evil would be oversimplifying things-but then again we could be over anylying things here.

4. We believe in tshuva and efshar l'takane. We know Snape was a death eater but we know he can return.

Helpful? I hope it was at least a little amusing.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 10:19 am
Snape obviously hated harry's father, that is why I find it hard to believe that he felt so much remorse when he heard that Voldemort killed Harry's parents. The only redeaming thing is at the very end when he is escaping with Draco he seems to be telling Harry what he needs to do in order to defeat Voldemort. He says how Harry must learn to close his mind.... Who knows, can't wait to find out in book 7.

roza

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:18 pm
Quote:
Helpful? I hope it was at least a little amusing.

nice sum up, amother. LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 5:47 pm
shock How could anyone think Snape is NOT totally evil Twisted Evil when he killed Dumbledore!?!? Crying

avimom

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 10:03 pm
I think there has to be a reason why Dumbledore trusted him!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 3:46 am
I think when Snape is cleared we will find out that Dumbledore told Snape to kill him. Remember:

1. The inbreakable vow that Snape made with Narcissa Malfoy. If he didn't kill Dumbledore in Malfoy's place Snape would have died.

2.Snape and Dombledore argued and Snape was saying that he didn't want to do the task that Dombledore had set him. It doesn't seem to me that the task was spying on the death eaters.

3. Dombledore's own feelings about death, which are expressed throughout the series even in book 1. To him death is no big thing.

4. Contrary to the above being a murderer is a big thing. Harry didn't want his dad's friends to become murderers, Dombledore didn't want Malfoy to become a muderer, how being a murderer is so wicked that it can prepare the soul to be torn into pieces. By killing Dombledore on his orders Snape probably is not subject to the bad magical aura associated with being a murderer and rotects Malfoy from it too.

zz

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 7:09 am
Very interesting post amother.... Thanks!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:29 am
amother..I think you are right, but to take it a step further
Killing tears apart the soul, true, but not every killing. I think killing in self-defense or in defense of someone ele has an element of nobility in it...maybe nobility is the wrong word.
I think when one kills but not for pleasure or personal gain, it doesnt damage the soul in the same way. the soul needs to show the damage...someone who will feel regret internalizes that pain and feels it. For someone who doesnt feel the remorse, the soul splits, as a way of protecting itself from destruction.
Does that make sense?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room