Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Please share your wheat free/sugar free recipes

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:43 am
bc of a health condition I was put off wheat and sugar.
I was told to use spelt as a substitue and honey/fructose as well.
I have no idea how to cook and bake adn eat with these restrictions. im sure there are many of u who eat like this all the time.
can u share?

spelt bread/challa is a priority for shabbos!

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:12 pm
I just emailed my mom (rvbubby) to respond to u. she should have some recipes for u.

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:56 pm
What about naturally occurring sugars such as the ones in apples, corn etc. ?

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 2:04 pm
Literally just substitute them, it comes out fine, spelt is about equal to regular ( I think 7/8 spelt = 1 c regular) and honey is 1/2 the amount of sugar or a bit more to your taste I believe.

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 2:05 pm
prbbly can't have honey if she can't have sugar.

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 2:09 pm
la456 wrote:

I was told to use spelt as a substitue and honey/fructose as well.

taffy

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 2:32 pm
You may want to check out the Eat Right For Your Type book, by Dr. D'adamo. His website address is www. dadamo. com
Click on the forum for lots of helpful tips. And the book, get it from the public library.
Would love to connect with you as I also need to be off wheat and sugar. And it's tough. But worthwhile!

rvbubby

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 4:10 pm
Sorry I took so long to answer, Shanie 5 wrote me last week but I wasn't up to writing.

You can substitute spelt for wheat, but if you are making challah, spelt does not have as much gluten, so knead it, shape it and let it rise only once. I had a recipe for spelt challah, but can't find it at the moment.
Have you tried using Splenda in place of sugar? It is supposed to be used equally for sugar, in other words, a cup of sugar equals a cup of splenda. Only I find the splenda sweeter and cut it down a little.

If you go to Google or another search engine and put in for spelt or sugar free recipes you'll find plenty there.
Good luck.

rvbubby

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 11:37 am
I just found my cookbook with sugar free and spelt recipes. It is The Haimishe Kitchen HEalthy Alternatives. You can get it from Ladies Auxiliary of Nitra PO Box 241, Mt. Kisco, NY 10549 914-666-7065.
Good luck and enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics