Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Did you or your husband go to the parade as kids?

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:16 pm
Do you or your husband go to the Lag B'Omer parades in Crown Heights when you were kids? If so, did you go with your school (which?) or with your family?

(I didn't go. Have to ask my husband.)

mimivan

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:24 pm
I didn't, but I sit and watch videos of old Lag B'Omer parades (or at least snippets) and try to imagine what it was like to make float the Rebbe could see!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:25 pm
you are bringing back memories. We used to go as kids with my family it was a very exciting event I remember the reciting of shema we loved the parade! My mother had a friend in Crown heights and we would go to her for lunch after the parade, she always served good stuff, different kinds of salads and bagels and lox, cheese cake, pudding yum!!!

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!!

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:44 pm
definately remember ... was something else ... went with school ... as well as with siblings in later years ...

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:51 pm
And from the title, I thought you were asking about the Israeli Day Parade in Manhattan....my MO background speaking....

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:51 pm
My father would leave for NY the night before Lag B'omer with my oldest siblings and some other kids from the community who were going too. I used to beg and beg my father to take me along Sad and finally he told me that I was old enough to go that year. You can't imagine how excited I was....
Well, on the way there I got so sick and threw up six times. Once we finally got there I was so sick and dizzy, believe me I didn't see anything that was happening around me. My father bought me a hot dog and sprite from Ess'n'Bench which tasted so awful. Finally he brought me to his friend's parents house on Eastern Parkway and I fell asleep on the couch for hours there.
Many years later I married their great-nephew. Smile
I will never forget that Lag B'omer. Rolling Eyes

faigie

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 1:06 pm
remember the bologna sandwiches and the bike raffle?

mali

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 1:20 am
I have such good memories of those parades. We went almost every year with many of our neighbors, and everyone loved it.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 8:45 am
When I was a child the Parade marched along Eastern Parkway till where?, and then buses took us to Prospect Park.
faige wrote:
remember the bologna sandwiches and the bike raffle?
faige, I remember those bike raffles. for some reason I never had a ticket, and still remember the disappointment. The sandwiches were pretty exciting too. LOL

There was one year that I went with my school, and I proudly "showed' my friends all the sights, feeling so priveleged to know it all up close. (After that summer we moved to Crown Heights).

Yes it always was an awesome event.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 8:52 am
there was a school park somewhere like a gated area where we all sat ... is this true or just a weird memory ... and yes the salami sandwiches and how the day sometimes started off rainy and always venerataed in sunshine as Der Rebbe came out to greet the parade ...

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:16 am
in recent years the parade marched on Eastern Parkway till Troy Avenue, and then down Troy to Wingate High's football field, which is huge, taking up a full square block, and yes, gated area, with bleachers on either side of the field. Actually, I think it was Kingston they marched down till Empire, then across Empire till Troy, then down Troy to Wingate Field.

Yeh, greenfire, who can forget, the rainy forecast, the rain and drizzle until the Rebbe came out. Amazingly, the cloouds cleared, and the sun shone, and the kids got sunburned. Later on, after the march and the program, the rain always returned!

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:20 am
Tzena in recent years ... yes it had bleachers in my mind ... they obviously did that 35 years ago too!!!

gryp

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:20 am
Quote:
who can forget, the rainy forecast, the rain and drizzle until the Rebbe came out. Amazingly, the cloouds cleared, and the sun shone, and the kids got sunburned. Later on, after the march and the program, the rain always returned!

Quote:
and how the day sometimes started off rainy and always venerataed in sunshine as Der Rebbe came out to greet the parade ...

I just heard someone say that yesterday.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:24 am
greenfire wrote:
Tzena in recent years ... yes it had bleachers in my mind ... they obviously did that 35 years ago too!!!
everything is relative. 8) I guess I've classified myself as an old-timer! LOL

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:30 am
It's okay if we do Tzena ... just not the kids ... when my kids call me an old timer ... I'm like what ... yet they do not believe my mother is in her 70's cause she looks so young ... yet I'm old ... go figure ... at least some of my memory is still working ... cause I remember that park ...

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:50 am
I read an article, regarding Lag B'Omer 1973, that the Jewish children of New York were invited to participate in the parade and a letter to this effect went out from the famous rabbis, Rabbi Moshe Feinstein and Rabbi Gedalia Schorr (Torah Vodaas).

Anybody know anything more about this - why these particular rabbis signed, more about non-Chabad support for the parade?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 11:52 pm
DH and I didn't come until after high school, so ....

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:47 pm
watch the 1960 Lag B'Omer parade!

http://www.chabad.org/multimed.....42800

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:50 pm
I also thought you were talkinga bout Israeli Day Parade...
But I know as a child I went to at least one in Crown Heights...maybe more... I was 12 yrs old, the one I remember
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics