Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Music during sefira
Previous  1  2

SZ mother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 6:09 pm
su7kids wrote:
If you have speakers on your computer you can hook up to www.olamradio.com and choose acapella and listen to that.

That's what I'm doing right now.

great link, thanks!!!!

healthymama

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 9:49 pm
Quote:
not listening to music is a way for us to try and internalize what happened many years ago during sefiras haomer........bar cochvah........before the giving of the torah.......it's not a punishment, it's a way for us to try and latch onto our history and make it a part of our lives

Mmm... why don't you just take a minute to be kinder to each other then.

Say, this thread ( and some others) is a lovely example of how frum people can bicker senselessly and judge each other. Ironic, isn't it, when you think of Rabbi Akiva's students and how little we all seem to have learned from them.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 10:24 pm
healthymama wrote:

perhaps she does

I thought her post was food for thought. And why not "just ..."? Because the halacha, according to most, is not to listen to music.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:20 am
Motek wrote:
greenfire wrote:
they are all going to do what they want anyway ... even if that means they are listening to a rav

a rav doesn't always tell you what you want to hear!

I didn't say that ... I said that those who are listening to a rav ... are also doing what they want ... they want to listen to rav ... while others doing what they want ... they don't want to even ask ... hence they/we are all doing what they/we want ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:21 am
Motek wrote:
healthymama wrote:

perhaps she does

I thought her post was food for thought. And why not "just ..."? Because the halacha, according to most, is not to listen to music.

is it a halacha ... or a minhag ...

Motek

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 9:19 am
greenfire wrote:
I said that those who are listening to a rav ... are also doing what they want ... they want to listen to rav ... while others doing what they want ... they don't want to even ask ... hence they/we are all doing what they/we want ...

Is it really comparable? Sometimes, it requires great strength/kabbolas ol to follow an answer you don't like. It takes no effort to do what you feel like doing.

gryp

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 9:27 am
I was always told that kids tapes are allowed during sefira. But I decided that my 3 yr old is old enough to understand the concept of sefirah, we won't listen to any music at all this year. It's hard for me and him too, but that's life.
so we do more singing together! Smile

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 9:33 am
I don't listen to music during sefira but my non-frum co-worker does. I must admit, I'm enjoying the radio station she tunes into. I used to listen to 60s/70s music before becoming frum and I miss it from time to time! For the record, I did ask her to turn the volume down, though I don't think it's appropraite to ask her to turn it off completely for the entire sefira.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 9:51 am
I took no offense to Amother's statement. It IS true that ppl rationalize almost everything !!!!!!!

shopaholic

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 12:28 pm
Su7kids - thanks for the link to olam radio. I love it!!!

su7kids

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:00 pm
GR wrote:
I was always told that kids tapes are allowed during sefira. But I decided that my 3 yr old is old enough to understand the concept of sefirah, we won't listen to any music at all this year. It's hard for me and him too, but that's life.
so we do more singing together! Smile

There are still kids tapes you can listen to, like stories, etc, but I think the kids tapes are more for chinuch than "entertainment" and I do agree that children should be allowed to listen.

One year, when I was an Ovel I bought Torah tapes which I used to listen to in the car with the kids. They were so good, the kids used to beg me not to switch off the car, and they weren't geared for children, they were adult's tapes.

chen

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:05 pm
greenfire wrote:

I didn't say that ... I said that those who are listening to a rav ... are also doing what they want ...

"... a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..." Simon and Garfunkel, The Boxer

ny21

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:09 pm
I met garfunkals
old uncle in shul .

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 2:29 pm
I ALSO CANT survive without something in the background. www.shmaisradio.com has a super acapella playlist and that's what I'm listening to!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics