Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which males get a ke'ara?

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 05 2007, 10:05 pm
My husband said it's Chabad custom for all males to have their own ke'ara.

not Chabad - married male guests have their own ke'ara

If you have guests, do you give your male guests their own ke'ara?

does it make a difference if they're married or single?

If you are guests, does your husband and other males have their own ke'ara?

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 05 2007, 10:23 pm
By us, only the person who heads the seder has a ke'ara.

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 05 2007, 11:21 pm
all married males and single ones who want them get them by us. as we didnt have guests this year besides my parents, that meant 3 on our table.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 05 2007, 11:44 pm
I got a kearah .... I'm the head ... of this household ...

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 12:43 am
At my grandparents---All married men

At my IL's -- Only the one leading the seder,

My parents---Only my dad as most of the guests are either unmarried or BT and are more comfortable with my father running the show.

Marion

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 4:57 am
At my parents, all heads of households (male or female). At my in-laws, only FIL gets a keara, but all married males get their own matzot.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 5:45 am
We had 7 kaarot - dh, sil ds#1(married),sil, 4 unmarried boys. If the person is not Chabad and not w/his wife then they decide. Usually most who come with spouse prefer, esp if they have kids. My sil is Temeni so he had a whole different set up of simanim.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 6:52 am
downsyndrome wrote:

ditto

Helani

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 8:52 am
For those of you where everyone has their own ke'ara...doesn't it get a bit confusing? Last year we had married friends staying by us for Yom Tov. The first seder we had to ke'aras set out, by the second seder decided it was easier for just my husband to run the show.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 9:59 am
By us, DH of course, and DS, when he was big enough to realize what it was.

bandcm

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 10:30 am
I think, Motek, you meant, that Chabad custom is that only males over bar-mitzva get a kaara. Not litle kids.
It's not confusing. Only one person leads the seder.
And everyone gets their own matza - what do you mean Marion that married males get their own matza? Don't you eat your own matza?

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 10:53 am
1 keara takes up enough space for me ... when my son was here ... I just let him do what he wanted ... and how he wanted ...

but I have seen little boys have their own ... chinuch ... plus they usually make one in school ... so why not ... especially at a seder ... isn't it all about the kids

red sea

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 11:24 am
brooklyn wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

ditto

same here

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 11:42 am
I should have written in my first post that not-Chabad - married men have a ke'ara in my husband's family. In other families, as women have posted here, only the one leading the seder has a ke'ara.

bandcm wrote:
I think, Motek, you meant, that Chabad custom is that only males over bar-mitzva get a kaara. Not litle kids.

Is that so? Why? If you buy them a lulav and esrog etc. why not a ke'ara for chinuch?

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 1:03 am
bandcm wrote:

And everyone gets their own matza - what do you mean Marion that married males get their own matza? Don't you eat your own matza?

I mean exactly what I said. Only FIL gets a full keara, but everyone gets a SET of matzahs. So I get from DH's matzot (and his afikoman), the unmarrieds are served from FIL's matzot (and afikoman)...it makes the whole giving out process much faster. If there are single guests then one of the smaller family units will give to them...predetermined by seating arrangement. So instead of FIL having to dole out matzah to 23 people, he only has to give to around 5, and the rest of us take care of ourselves.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 11:08 am
red sea wrote:
brooklyn wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

ditto

same here

here too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics