Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What is your opinion on open toe flats?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:10 pm
What is your opinion on open toe flats? Are they considered ztnius? I would be wearing toe-less tights, so that wont be a problem.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:11 pm
If its your toes showing, no it's not Tznius.

pizza4

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:18 pm
Nope.

Last edited by pizza4 on Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:23 pm
Not okay IMO.
I was taught that in addition an open-back shoe is also not tznius. With tights. DH would love for me to get a sling back shoe but I'm not ready to do that.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 4:24 pm
I see them on the tzniusest women, and most will also wear conservative sandals (with tights since talking charedi).
Fingers and toes are not a problem. Ok yes there is a muslim-spain source about toes but.....

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 5:51 pm
Depends on your community. AIUI, the foot itself is not considered ervah. However, if the women in your community cover it, you should as well. If it's common in your community to have uncovered toes, it should be fine. BUT--- AYLOR!!

mom2dkay

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 5:56 pm
Tznius or not, only wear them if you have nice toes and toenails.
Seriously, I've seen women wearing them with fungal toenails and its gross.
IMO.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 6:10 pm
mom2dkay wrote:
Tznius or not, only wear them if you have nice toes and toenails.
Seriously, I've seen women wearing them with fungal toenails and its gross.
IMO.

If I would wear them, it would only be after a pedi. (op)

tryinghard

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 6:11 pm
generally speaking, legs (below the knee) and feet are minhag hamakom - straight halacha says it's fine, but if most of the frum women in a given geographical location cover their legs and/or feet, than that is the halacha for that place - so the halacha would actually be different depending on if you were in Boro Park or Teaneck. But AYLOR.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:29 pm
You're asking this in the Fashion and Beauty section, so I say go for it. Just be sure your toes are pedicured before you expose them, please. Cool

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:34 pm
Just wear bags over your feet and sleep in them too

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 9:09 pm
I dont see the problem...

CC1

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 9:19 pm
Bags over your feet and sleep in them too? I don't know if it was sarcastic or an attempt at humor but I really did LOL lol

Toes and heels covered here.

( pedis are great right after Mikvah as a surprise for home Very Happy )

rachel91

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 5:14 am
Well, I don't like anything open toe at all, flats, heels, boots etc.

But, I don't think there is a problem with tznius per say, of course it depends if it's common to wear such shoes in your community.

For my part I see alot more open back flats, heels etc. in our community, than open toe.
But I honestly don't know why it is considered 'worse' to wear open toe shoes than open back.

So I say if you will feel comfortable wearing those shoes, go for it!

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 5:51 am
Women in my community wear sandals in summer, so certainly open-toed flats don't present any tznius problem for us.

Personally, I don't like shoes which are closed except for the toe area, but that's a fashion choice, not a tznius choice for me.

abaker

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 11:00 am
imo not tznius, I wouldnt. but depends on your community.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 11:08 am
In dd's BY the morot are very into open shoe, sling back wedges. lol

agreer

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 1:01 pm
ewwwwww I absolutely hate the look. I don't want to see anyone's toes, covered in nude tights or exposed.

I think they are meant to be attractive and attracting, so therefore definitely not in the spirit of tznius, esp. if you have bright polish.

I never heard that sling-backs are a problem. interesting.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 01 2014, 2:05 pm
I don't think to most, toes are attractive and attracting (not that I think there is a difference between those words but I know on Imamother whole drashas on tznius are based on this). As in, something people use to be s-xy or to attract attention. Lips are much more universally [inappropriate]. And still... not even the most stringent tznius poskim say to cover them.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 01 2014, 2:20 pm
I'm right wing chareidi/yeshivish and my husband asked a Rav for me when I wanted to buy some shoes with open toes. This Rav does not approve of band falls, denim, sheitels below the shoulder, the list goes on. However, he said that open toe shoes are not a problem (I wear nude tights under so it's not my skin - not sure if that would be different as of course I wouldn't go bare legged). He said actually showing any part of the foot isn't a problem, hence you could wear slippers, crocs etc.

However, he said a woman should use her own seichel as when with buying anything else, and that if the shoes are open toe in order to be alluring, then of course they are not appropriate. Some open toe shoes look specifically immodest, whereas others can be much more refined. If you like the open toe look because it's alluring, then think twice. But that applies to anything really. I've seen women who look really s-xy who are following halacha to the letter... I'm sure that's not the point.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics