Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to educate these kids

ima25

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:13 pm
[color=indigo]I hate where I live, I hate the school and the neighborhood. I grew up around thinking, intelligent and compassionate people. I LIKE being around smart, thinking people. I DO NOT LIKE being around conformists. And I especially don't like being around dumb people who think that just because the"go to college" that they know what they are doing. They don't. I try to be patient and I try to be constuctively critical, but the teachers and principals and and adminstration want the parents to fork over thousands of dollars, and then stay out of the school. And when the children aren't doing well, then it's the parents' responsibility to get them tutored, and get them to do what they are supposed to do in class (as if that is possible when the parents aren't allowed in school!). I am so frustrated I don't know what to do! I want to take them out of this school, but where to send them? I can't afford the "good" schools, and public school is not an option. I'd love to homeschool, but we don't listen so well (my fault totally - I play with my kids, so my mother thinks they don't take me seriously ever). I don't know what to do. We live in an area where mediocraty is the level to acheive. Does anybody know of any other options? Confused color=indigo]

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:17 pm
Unfortunately in my opinion all schools have the same problem. It takes 3 - kid, school, & parents to work as whole and nobody is ever willing. As a mother who has had kids in alot of schools.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 1:16 pm
Can I have an idea of what is considered mediocrity?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 1:47 pm
Read up a bit more on homeschooling, and you may change your mind. Homeschooling can be done in a great number of ways, some of which are quite fun. You don't have to be school at home. There are great e-mail
lessons on a variety of subjects, great books, lots of fun ways to learn all the stuff the schools try and teach them.

All the below is IMHO:
What is important is knowing how to do math and how to read, write and comprehend what you have read. Hebrew and English in our case. Narration, the ability to verbally relay what you have learned is also important.

History and science are important as well, but not in terms of dates or facts, but in concepts. What is the difference between theory and hypothesis? What were the Dark Ages? Understanding how people went from a nomadic lifestyle to city-states etc. etc.

They don't have to listen to you and only you. You can employ tutors, you can download podcasts, you can use historical fiction, go to the museums, draw and examine nature in situ. Talk about the issues of the day and relate them to the past. Do kitchen science.

You'd be surprised at what you can do.

ima25

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 2:03 pm
mediocrity means to me following the status quo. to just do ok and not reaching for full potential. it may come about because Torah is constant and Halacha doesn't change, but human beings do and should.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 5:00 am
Reaching above mediocrity is a function of the child and home. Even the best teacher will have trouble coaxing excellence if the child is not interested and the home has not laid the foundation. You will be very disappointed if you think this is the school's job primarily. School is meant to help you build your child's character and provide the necessary tools to live a proper life - Jewish and otherwise. Modern parents don't often like this, but socialization is one of the most important things a school does for children. The ability to be part of an organic whole is a skill your child will need to be part of a community, workplace and family. The modern stress on individuality over all has helped create a generation that really cannot deal with things that are not perfect in their eyes.

Yes, a child has individual strengths, interests and weaknesses. Yes, these should have expression, guidance and appreciation. Doing this is primarily the job of the home. No matter how large your family is the teacher has more students than you do. In addition, your being active w/your child will build your relationship.

The status quo is good unless it is wrong. It adds stability to life and provides the stable platform that the we can stand on to achieve higher goals. Imagine if those basic answers our children get in school had to be reconsidered every morning. How far would we progress?

Whatever happened to children being guided to friends of similar interest in clubs and things after school. This is the opportunity to jump higher. It will reflect on the child's attitude in school as well.

ima25

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 9:24 am
Imaonwheels:
first of all, I love your name. I hope it's not accurate in that you are in your car all day long!

I do strive to teach my children to think, to reach beyond; they shouldn't just parrot what they hear, but truly understand and internalize. I really do that. the school wants their little model students; they want to teach to one type of child, and they do not display exlemplary midos - which is job number one in our home. I spend a ot of time with my kids after school unteaching them things they have learned in school. As for the socialization available to my kids: a) when? they have all of this homework; b) how? the world is not safe, nor is our neighborhood for them to go running around in alone, and I don't have "wheels" with which to cart them around; and c) I don't really care much for most of the girls in the school. They are a very tough, sharp group of girls and we are out-of-towners and wish to remain so! As for extracurricular activities, besides having no time or transportation, they are sooo expensive! I have to pay the chool so much tuition, and all of their add-ons, where should the money for lessons come from?

I just feel that in todays climate, it's all but impossible to be in a pleasant and enjoyable situation. Period.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children