Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
At what age do your boys light the Menorah?

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:01 pm
All my kids light the Menorah I have a 6, 4 and two and a half year old. Usually untill three the boys light with candles, then after three they light with olive oil. My children generally light of course with dh's help and close attention from around the age of one. This year I was going to buy candles for the baby but when we went shopping he saw I was buying olive oil for the two older boys he asked me who they were for, I told him for his brothers. Well he sadi he wanted them he does not want candles. So yes I gave in!!!! Well if he gave me a performance in the shop he will definately give me a performance every night of Chanukah and I wanted Chanukah to be nice so yes I gave in.
So what do you do for your sons? Does anyone have their daughters light a Menorah?

Esther01

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:08 pm
I only have girls and they light menorah with colorful candles. I don't know till what age it'll go one but for now (oldest is 4 1/2) they light.

sorry I cant help you with the oil issue.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:10 pm
I used to light the Menorah as a kid, but if and when I have some girls they will not light the Menorah as it is the Lubavitch Minhag for girls not to.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 9:24 pm
All my kids have always lit - including girls since forever. oh and we're lub

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 9:30 pm
my boys, ages 5 & 8, ligt. They still light candles. I am not sure at what age to let them start lighting oil

bandcm

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 9:33 pm
My son lit last year and this year - he´s nearly three now.

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:27 am
jewishmamathebest wrote:
I used to light the Menorah as a kid, but if and when I have some girls they will not light the Menorah as it is the Lubavitch Minhag for girls not to.

interesting, my young girls (only one is bas mitzvah) all light but they don't light on Shabbos

as each boy becomes bar mitzvah, he changes from candles to oil. I buy a big silverplated (because its all I can afford) menorah for him

last year, I was given a menora as a work thank-you gift. it was a pretty cheapie, lightweight one, but I was not able to get to a store for my most recent bar mitzvah to get him a solid silverplated menorah, so I gave the new one to him.

later, we discovered the sterling stamp on the bottom. seems I gave him a rather expensive menorah-

zissy2004

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 4:45 am
my son started last year, he was 2.5, almost three.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:04 am
All my kids lit this year. My oldest used oil & my other 2 used candles which DH lets out just before they reach the bottom. We're not too sure that the menorahs are fire proof.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:07 am
My boys both light... My oldest this year on oil (age 6), but he's struggling lighting it so I have to help him. My youngest lights on candles (age 4).

Of course my daughter get's very jealous, but I remind her that only she and I can light on shabbos and we get to do that every week. Where as the boys only get 8 days to light on chanukah. She seems to be ok with it, though she reminds me they get colored candles..LOL

bandcm

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:13 am
MitzvahMom, you can always let her have colored candles for Shabbos - I know the custom is to use white, but if it´s really gonna bother your daughter, and it´s just for Chinuch at this age...

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:20 am
my baby is lighting this year and he is 7 months...
ok!! I know I know its silly but its so cute to see his little menorah next to tatys and his face when he gripps the candle with me ... ok so im the one saying the brocho.. but he has a a tzivos hashem mission sheet to fill out anyway!!!! Wink

raizy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 11:40 pm
MOMMY ESTY I am like u. all my kids light from my oldest to my youngest. my baby is 9 months and he lights. . usally my hubby helps him bc I am busy taking pictures. I go picture crazy at chankah time. otherwise I would light with him. and sigh my 2.5 son doesn't let anyone help him light the candles. I can do it all on my own he claims .why do they have to grow up so fast???
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics