Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Warming up kugel for kiddush

imala

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:30 pm
Hi everyone!
I'm making a kiddush this shabbos for my daughter and want to serve at it kugel. I'm not sure how to heat it up so that it will be hot shabbos day. I'm thinking of using a hot plate but I'm scared it will burn. Anyone have some experience with a hot plate or some other ideas? Thanks!

shoy18

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:36 pm
I use a hot plate, it gets very hot and if you dont watch it WILL burn, I I find if I put the kugel on top of an upside down foil pan it wont burn

Esther01

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:43 pm
I used to make two 9"x13" potato kugel every week for our shul's kiddush. this is how they would keep it warm with out burning. we would take a big roaster pan and fill it up with water about an inch or two. then place the two 9"x13" pans of kugel in the roaster. it fits to perfection. each kugel must be covered tightly with silver foil. place on the hot plate or blech.
this way the water heats up and gives the heat over to the kugel, but the kugel stays fresh, warm and yummy. (never burns)

btw mazel tov for the kiddush

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 8:03 pm
If it's a covered burner, you can't let it get too hot. Are you putting it on before Shabbos? Def raise it up from the heat with something like another pan or a muffin tin.

If it's a plata, an electric covered one level of heat only type situation, you can put it right on it a little while before you want to serve it.

Ask your rov if you're not sure. The dinim are pretty complicated!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 2:37 pm
Upside down foil pan is the best way to go.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 2:47 pm
Esther01 wrote:
I used to make two 9"x13" potato kugel every week for our shul's kiddush. this is how they would keep it warm with out burning. we would take a big roaster pan and fill it up with water about an inch or two. then place the two 9"x13" pans of kugel in the roaster. it fits to perfection. each kugel must be covered tightly with silver foil. place on the hot plate or blech.
this way the water heats up and gives the heat over to the kugel, but the kugel stays fresh, warm and yummy. (never burns)

I assume you did this BEFORE Shabbos, but I hope everyone else assumed that too.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:07 pm
that's why I said about my plata. and about asking a rov.

imala

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 10:22 pm
Thanks for all your ideas! Regarding using the roaster pan, I have a large one but I don't see how you fit 2 9x13 tins in?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 10:27 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Esther01 wrote:

I assume you did this BEFORE Shabbos, but I hope everyone else assumed that too.

Many people place cold dry things (kugel, chicken) on the top of a hot crockpot, or any pot for that matter, to warm up ON Shabbos, as long as you are not putting it directly on the source of heat. I think all Poskim are OK with that. Am I wrong?

supermom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 7:26 am
Amother we put things that are dry on the blech too like in this case the kugel but on top of another kli like a tin pan.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 7:36 am
supermom wrote:
Amother we put things that are dry on the blech too like in this case the kugel but on top of another kli like a tin pan.

Agreed- "as long as you are not putting it directly on the source of heat"- definitely NOT directly on the blech.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 10:15 am
A plata is different, BH!

melalyse

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:49 pm
Are you getting the kugel from a caterer or are you cooking it yourself. A a caterer usually supplies a warming drawer to use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics