Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Channuka party ideas

mamaloosh

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 2:02 pm
My DH and I want to make a Channuka party for our friends (No kids for a change) Just wondering if anyone has any great ideas of what to serve/entertainment. It has to be low budget so we we're thinking of making it an after dinner thing. Also, our place is pretty small. I'm not into balloons etc. Want to do something more formal. Probably for about 4-5 couples and some single friends. I was thinking dimmed lights with tea light all over and a bowl of punch, but then I blanked out.

Anyone?

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 2:51 pm
Depends what you want to serve Milchig or Flieshig.

mamaloosh

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:04 pm
well I guess milchig. I was thinking to make potato latkes in any case , even if it's 'after dinner' so clearly there would be sour cream.

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:24 pm
Pizza, Keesh(spelling?),cheese latkes (I have a great recipe), eggplant parmagane, Ziti, Onion Soup w/cheese (my specialty).

Thats what was ontop of my mind!

shoy18

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:42 pm
please post onion soup

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:48 pm
If it is after dinner serve finger food. latkes with dips - you can have diff. type latkes - sweet potatoe, zucchini etc with different dips - apple sauce, sour cream, guacamale etc Than you can do mini pizzas and quiches (make big ones and cut into squares if that sounds like too much work) little veg and cheese bourekas. Lots of these things can be made ahead and frozen. To keep with the mini theme get mini doughnuts (or make them, but these are only really good made fresh)

brooklyn

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:52 pm
Fruit and vegetable platters, suganiot, latkes.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:55 pm
do cheesecakes for dessert!

mamaloosh

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 6:10 pm
ltlesmartmom- can you post the cheese latke recipe?

Raisin- I LOVE the idea of mini foods..........especially because I can make them ahead of time. Any tried and true recipes?

And what about entertainment? Should I just make it an open house? Not everyone knows each other, and also, some of them speak only Hebrew or only English...

Thanks for the ideas!

mamaloosh

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 6:11 pm
Raisin, can I really freeze stuff like that? Latkes? Little Pizzas?

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 8:27 pm
Do I post the recipes here or by the recipe section?

supermom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 10:23 am
Here Very Happy .

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 10:37 am
I always freeze latkes, I used the kbd recipe the last couple of years, I think she gives freezing instructions. They worked out fine. Pizza - haven't tried freezing mini pizza but I have bought and enjoyed frozen pizza, so it should work. Often I make and freeze the bases ahead and add the toppings on the day. I won't give you my recipes for those, they were for kids parties but I had really good mini pizzas at my nephews opsher - but they were made by a bakery. They were small, 2 inches across. For adults you can try more sophisticated ingredients - sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, olives etc

Entertainment - adults generally just enjoy talking to each other (strange but true!) it depends on your crowd though - you know them. Maybe a good old fashioned dreidle game? Gambling is always fun!

ltlesmartmom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 6:57 pm
Cheese Latkes

* 1 16oz. Container of Cottage Cheese
* 6 Eggs
* 1 Cup Flour
* 1 Vanilla Sugar
* 3/4 Cup Sugar
* A Pinch Of Salt

(Btw it freezes well)

Onion Soup
* 1 Big Onion
* 3/4 Bunch Celery
* Blak Peper
* Salt

Sautee the onion and Cellery untill they are goldish add a add water till top of pot. add Salet & Black Pepper to taste.

when serving add american cheese in the plate. I usually put 2-3 slices in the bottom of the plate and then put the soup. stir it up after.

Enjoy the recipes I love them!

withhumor

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 7:10 pm
If you will be using mini donuts, stack them up in a tower, it looks adorable. Use some crème to hold them together. On the first layer of a round cake dish, arrange them in circles and keep making circles until in the middle there’s only one. On the next layer, leave out the outer ring and keep stacking them until you have only one in the middle all the way on top. You can wrap it in cellophane with a bow if you need to send a gift or bring it to a party. This is winner every time. And then send me some.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics