Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do your guests finish their bowl of chicken soup?
Previous  1  2

youngmom

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 12:46 am
Quote:
A package chicken bottoms
2-4 turkey neck bones
2 loose carrots
1 sweet potato
1 squash
1 turnip
1 kohlrabi
1 leek
fresh dill
fresh parsley
salt, paprika,black pepper, cumin

I cook it for about 4 hours

Do you boil the water first or not?

redhot

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 12:54 am
I make a similar chicken soup. it is really delicious. everyone loves it

6 quart pot
3 chickien 1/4s (no skin)
1 bag carrots
1 sweet potato
1 onion
1 crushed garlic clove
fresh dill
2 zuchinis
1 parsnip
1 turnip

salt and pepper

Place cleaned chickens into pot. Cover with water. Pot should be around 3/4's way full. A litttle more than that. Boil. Clean off top of pot with spoon. Add vegetables and spices. Cook on low-medium flame for hours. Refrigerate overnight. Skimoff top of soup. Warm up for atleast another hour.

youngmom

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 1:00 am
Quote:
Cook on low-medium flame for hours.

How many hours?

redhot

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 1:02 am
ill cook it for like 2-3 hours thursday night and then another 1 1/2 -2 hours friday afternoon.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 5:43 am
the best soup I ever made cooked overnight thursday night.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 5:56 am
I make hardly any salads for the first course (sometimes I skip that course in the summer, personally I'd rathe have chicken soup than fish any day of the week!) but people do eat a lot of Challa. I serve fish, one salad, and Chummous (bought) chatzilim and maybe some other of those israeli tub salads.

Also gefilta fish is really really expensive here, like $9 a roll so I hate buying it.

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 8:32 am
I usually get a few requests for seconds. I make my soup full of veggies and lots of garlic. We also have garlic matza balls! Very Happy

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 2:51 pm
[quote="youngmom"
Do you boil the water first or not?[/quote]

No I do not boil the water first. I forgot to mention that I use a big pot, and freeze for another 2-3 weeks. When I take soup from the freezer, I add a turkey neck bones, squash, and carrots.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 3:40 pm
Not everyone is such a soup eater and not everyone wants to eat that much food at night, good soup recipes noitwithstanding!

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 10:33 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
Most everyone finishes theirs, but once in a while someone leaves some at the bottom.

I also have people ask for seconds. My soup is not so rich friday night though very tasty, but come shabbos after shul it turnes into a rich chulent. Yep it serves dual duty.

What's in this dual-purpose soup of yours? Do you keep it in a crock pot or on the cooktop?

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 10:34 pm
I've found from experience that celery ROOT is the secret to a great soup.

jewgal84

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 10:50 pm
My dh makes a great soup, he uses tonz of veggies etc.

I am personally not a soup person and never truly developed a soup "taste".

I almost never ask for soup if I'm a guest unless I'm at some1 I feel comfortable not finishing the bowl clean.

IMO alot of ppls problems with not finishing their soup, as I've noticed from our guests, is because they are so full from being stuffed at the first course.

I really enjoy making tonz of salads for the fish course and my father pointed out that ppl are busy filling up from the 1st course that they almost never have room for soup, or even chicken.

So don't underestimate your soup abilities.

It may not be that your soup isn't coming out right, it could be the guests are busy filling themsleves with your other delicious foods first Yes !!!

Nomad

Post Fri, Nov 24 2006, 9:05 am
my soup is also very hearty with lots of veggies, chicken and meat so sometimes I see peices of chicken or meat leftover and sometimes people want seconds! its yummy!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics